Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 763

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    I have been in between sort of a change from flowing water to standing water (as I have sometimes problems with water quality).

During that, I have monitored washing quality using HT-2 and to my very big surprise, there's no stain in the (sheet) film after only one or two water changes (15 liters per change).
    Film probably just needs far less washing than fibre based paper. Remember that your sheet film is made of pretty water impermeable polyester, versus the water soaked and contaminated paper base of a fibre based print. That probably makes a huge difference..., as the gelatin layer on the film base is just a tiny layer.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Film probably just needs far less washing than fibre based paper. Remember that your sheet film is made of pretty water impermeable polyester, versus the water soaked and contaminated paper base of a fibre based print. That probably makes a huge difference..., as the gelatin layer on the film base is just a tiny layer.
    That's very true. I have to check how final wash with only couple of water changes will work with gelatin based roll films. Perhaps they will require a bit more water.

Time will show

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amac212 View Post
    Oh my word. Just fantastic, thank you for sharing!
    yes! thanks for posting here is some more food for thought…
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Food for thoughts.

Sorry, it's in French.. But I'll describde it the best I can do !

Explanation is not given, only results..

Two parts :
    -a table, with chemical additives ranked by efficiencies (hydrichloridyc acid is the worse and sodium hydroxyde the best)

-a graph showing effect residual log of hypo concentration on paper (mg/m²) vs cocnentration of the added chemical.

What can we learn :
    Tap water wash better paper than distilled water.
    Other compound can make a wash more efficient.
    (aside, one should take into account side effect : sodium hydroxide is not good for your print

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please note the pH values. These affect swell and thus wash rate. The most swell also causes degradation of the emulsion due to the high pH. So, things are not always as they seem. More tests should be shown in order that the entire story is rounded out.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    The conclusions seem to be that, at least under these test conditions, hardener retards washing but HCA helps.
    that's has been the ccommon wisdom for decadesbutyes, worth restating.nevertheless,I thought HT2 was a washing efficiency test for paper but not for film;I've used HT1 for film so far
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 01-25-2014 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin