Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,161   Online: 1010

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Changing Developing Times with dilution

Hi everyone. I hope you don't mind another question from the newbie corner.

I am shooting TRI-X 320 and developing in HC-110. Kodak's tables show the developing time for this combination in trays at 3.25 minutes (20C). It seems to me this leaves very little room for N- or N+ development; certainly at times as short as this the margin of error is higher.

I want to try dilution beyond the standard "B" suggested by Kodak as a means of stretching out the development time.

Before I start any trials, I thought I'd see what experiences this group may have in this area. Are there published data on this tactic?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a lot of discussion about the short development times when Kodak introduced the latest version of Tri-X. A lot of people think the published times are simply incorrect - far too short. Most people seem to continue to use their times for the older version of Tri-X - probably in the 5-6 minute range.

Take a look at this page for a lot of information on HC-110, including with Tri-X

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

juan

Images
    I had the same problem and question a few months ago using a different film/developer combo. I wound up having good results. That thread may be minimally helpful:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7491-i-need-longer-dev-times.html
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    Good Afternoon, Shicks,

Go to Google and enter "HC-110 Developer" (without the quotation marks, of course); you should get a web site for Covington Innovations which has very detailed information on the developer, including various dilution ratios and some recommended times for several popular films.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Thanks for the Help

Thanks for the help on this. the references were very interesting.

I noted that one suggestion was that doubling the dilution would render the developer into a one shot mix where as now Kodak has a quantity of film suggested.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin