Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,404   Online: 722

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Does anybody have an opinion on what Foma or Forte product would be the closest replacement for Tri-x?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    Does anybody have an opinion on what Foma or Forte product would be the closest replacement for Tri-x?

Matt

I tested both Foma and Forte films a few years ago for a UK company who considered importing them, at that time it was hard to say which was the worst film. Granted it was some time ago but unless they have been greatly improved I wouldn't waste time exposing them and chemistry developing them. If the main film manufacturers do stop production and this is all we have I despair. Matt, IMO there is no replacement for TriX but try Fuji Neopan 400, it is the nearest that I've used.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Went over to Jessops today and did my usual re-stock of Ilford supplies plus some additional supplies which I will keep as backup if the worst comes. Surprise surprise no-one there had heard the news about Agfa or Ilford so I guess that shows their commitment to film

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Les, the Fortepan 400 of a few years ago was indeed nothing to write home about, but try the new ClassicPan 400 available in Europe from fotoimpex.de (made in the Forte plant, but may or may not be equivalent to the current Fortepan 400) or as J&C Classic 400, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've posted some test shots in this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=008niK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to Ilford USA is bussiness as usual.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    According to Ilford USA is bussiness as usual.
    Yeah, until they cannot get more film from the UK.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Les, the Fortepan 400 of a few years ago was indeed nothing to write home about, but try the new ClassicPan 400 available in Europe from fotoimpex.de (made in the Forte plant, but may or may not be equivalent to the current Fortepan 400) or as J&C Classic 400, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've posted some test shots in this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=008niK
    thats good news for me David ... I have just ordered a 10 pack for testing with pyrocat HD and perceptol as a alternative (note not replacement) to HP5. It has been reviewed in teh UK Balck and White Photography magazine this month with good things said.

have you tried the 200 speed?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The last people you want to ask when doing due diligence is the company auditors, finance people, etc. themselves. No one saw Enron coming because they made the mistake of calling them for assurances. What are they going to say: "Oh no, we have cooked the books, management is embezzling gizillions, and it will go belly up soon". I think either Ilford is finished or will be broken up in a fire sale.

Alternatives are: Efke PL100, Classic 200 and Classic 400. Nice prices too!
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been told that Ilford will continue to manufacture, although whether it would be both film and paper was not specified.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Press Release from ILFORD USA

ILFORD IMAGING USA INC
    OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    AS ILFORD RESTRUCTURES BUSINESS WORLDWIDE

Paramus, NJ (August 25, 2004)-- The accounting firm Grant Thornton announced Monday the appointment of partners Mark Byers, Malcolm Shierson and Les Ross as joint administrators of our UK parent company Ilford Imaging Limited and joint administrative receivers of our UK affiliate Ilford Imaging UK Limited.

The announcement pertains to those two UK companies alone. The Swiss business, including the ILFORD production facility in Marly, is solvent and continues to conduct business as usual. Similarly, Ilford Imaging USA Inc continues to do business as normal.

"The US entity is operating in a business-as-usual fashion, and is continuing to accept and deliver on its orders as we evaluate how the changes at the UK companies might affect us", said Ward Phillips, President of ILFORD Imaging USA Inc.

"We are taking every action and precaution to maintain ongoing operations with our customers. At the same time, behind the scenes, we will be working with our related companies in the ILFORD group to improve its performance and strengthen the outlook for the future", Phillips further stated.

The ILFORD group was founded in 1879 in the UK, and more recently it has developed into the world's leading supplier of dyes for inkjet photo printers and is the second largest manufacturer of inkjet photo paper.

###
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin