Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,067   Online: 987

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clay
    We've all been hoping Ilford were the good guys who would hang in there after the great yellow father heads to the showers. Guess not.
    Clay pretty much sums it up. On one level I expect someone to survive after the all fallout. Ironic if it's Kodak, which I alway thought would be second to go, after Agfa.

These things seem to happen very precipitously in Britain. I was in London, on business, when BMW shut down Rover in the course of a day, with no warning to anyone. Tony Blair was about to have a cow...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    We've all been hoping Ilford were the good guys who would hang in there after the great yellow father heads to the showers. Guess not.
    Time to take a John Coffer workshop. Want to repeat the workshop with me Clay? I just got my camera today. I have an order in for the portable darkroom. Now to experiment with the albumen prints.

My favorite film was apfa 25, then verichorme pan, I settled finally on Ilford FP4. I see a trend here.

Personally I think EricR should get the Ilford equipment and set it up in Costa Rica as a retirement trade. Make a good OLD AGE type supplemental income. In expensive labor force, and condusive overhead costs once the machinery is there. Just have to watch out for hurricanes and volcanos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no doubt that I'm glad I'm learning how to 'make' my own film with wet plate. I already feel relatively independent for the printing side since I print mostly in platinum and gum. I don't think you can take too many wet plate workshops because I am beginning to think that every practictioner has their own peculiar way of working.

But film is still going to be something I want to use. Hand held cameras, night photography and other things would be impossible with wet plate. The effective film speed is somewhere around ISO 1!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robb Kendrick said he would do a workshop if I came to Texas. What do you think of that as a workshop? William Duniway lives next to my brother in law in So Cal. So I will be hitting just a few of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'tis a d#mn shame!

However, there have been pretty extreme circumstances working against them - considering the exchange rate and massive surge in digital sales over the last couple of yrs. I don't think these two circumstances are likely to continue in tandem indefinately.

There's some hope in their quote ....
    “The rumour last week was we were going to be bought by a German firm. We’ve been told nothing definite yet, it’s a case of wait and see.”

Images
    G&D DA*N IT!

How long can you freeze film? I was just going to order some delta 100 and cut it to 5x7.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I sit and watch film companies go the way of the Buffalo, I wonder:

Isn't film nescessary for fine circuitry manufacturing? I might be mistaken, but I believe it is.
    If so, what will happen if major film manufacturers go out (maybe a far fetched idea, maybe not)? Will the eletronics giants switch to smaller film companies? Will they keep their emulsions alive and nothing else? Will we stop making computers?

True, this might be a bit off the top, but it's my train of thought.

Am I that wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two other rays of hope here:
    1) the movie industry still consumes a hell of a lot of film. Even the digital flics are eventually made into film. Sooner or later of course, the industry will switch to digital projection systems, but the cost of re-tooling would be enormous. The industry has some large fixed investments in the form of projection, and the cost advantage to justify a switch would likewise have to be pretty large.
    2) Microfilm is still the preferred method for long term archiving of data. We know how long microfilm is good for, which can't be said with some of the magnetic digital storage methods.

I'm guessing 35mm film will be the last to go, and ULF sheet film the first to go. Get a freezer, and learn to shoot without bracketing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also all crime labs have to use film since the negative may be inspected. Digital is not allowed in court cases, since you can't tell if it has been manipulated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good points, but just to play the devil's advocate:

I wonder if any of that applies, once we are talking about shareholders. The markets we pointed out are still (probably) minorites when compared to consumer/amateur/professional photography; most of which have gone digital.

To shareholders, money talks, and usually on a short timeline, with blinders on. Please forgive my prejudices

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin