Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,159   Online: 1073

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a long time Ilford supporter this is sad news.

We recently bought a digicam to see how that fitted in with our household (my wife averages over 40 rolls of colour a year, 85-90% of the 6x4 prints go in albums, which believe it or not, both we and the kids look at regularly). After a few months of filling the memory card, uploading to PC then editing (deleting the shockers), we haven't looked at the pics, 'backed' them up to CD or even got any printed. At the moment I can't see myself getting enthused with this workflow once B&W film goes the way of the Dodo. I suspect someone will continue to make B&W film and I'll try to support them. We have two suppliers here in Aust that I'll be confident of continuing to import film. Either that or C-41 here we come! hmm, will Ilford contine to make XP2? I did buy a few bricks of APX-25 when that went belly up, but I don't think I'll do the same (which would have to be in much larger quanities) when the mainstream B&W manufacturers call it quits as that would just hasten the demise of the small players in the market. Buying from them now will keep them interested in make a few bucks, rather than the giants who need to make big bucks or move their capital into other areas they think they'll prosper.

As a silent protest, I won't buy anymore Ilford inkjet paper... (which is only a couple of packets a year) Bugger 'em!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A couple of generations lost their family snapshots when the masses switched to color film in the 1960's. So far the only archival medium for photos is black & white silver based photography.

Police work, as mentioned, and x-rays seem to still require silver emulsion.

A sad day, indeed.

Charlie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by voceumana
    Police work, as mentioned, and x-rays seem to still require silver emulsion.
    A friend of mine is a police photographer. He uses digital exclusively now.

Last time my daughter had an X-Ray made, it was all digital. Ready and printed on transparent plastic in about five minutes. And a copy for ourselves was printed even faster.

G.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe Ilford will see the wisdom in moving to a smaller factory and limiting the production of its films and papers (because I really love PanF+). If it (the film and paper division) pays for its own costs of running, and even turns a small -or large- profit, it could keep going for quite a while.

Still, that won't prevent hundreds of people from losing their jobs. And I think, just for a moment's break from all our pissing and moaning, we should think about those people for a second or two and the impact this possible dark day will have upon them and their families.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Courts are throwing out evidence that is not film based. Maybe internally the shots are digital at a police department, but for court room evidence it has to be film. But I see you are in the netherlands. May be different there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is depressing news. I started with APX 25, APX 100 sheet, then adopting FP4+ as my choice, all gone or going. The only constant for me has been has been my high speed choice Tri X (TX).

Should we just move on and go with smaller companies like J&C? They seem to be willing to provide us with many film choices. Our support will probably determine their success.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After I read this, I went to the IlfoPro forum & posted this info in the Ilford News section of the forum, asking if this was the 'real deal'....wwweeeeeellllllll, they locked that section of the forum and removed my posting!!! At first, I thought that I'd posted the darned thing somewhere else in the forum, but after I did a search, I realized what they'd done.

Someone else posted this info in the Traditional B&W Photography section and they have not locked that one up yet. Very odd response!

Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie

My favorite film was apfa 25, then verichorme pan, I settled finally on Ilford FP4. I see a trend here.
    Aggie...

Just remember this...

Efke25 stinks, Classic200 is garbage, and Adox21 should be used for cows toilet paper. You don't want to mess with any of them.

Any other film, feel free to invest your time in exploring.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Aggie...

Just remember this...

Efke25 stinks, Classic200 is garbage, and Adox21 should be used for cows toilet paper. You don't want to mess with any of them.

Better yet, explore in a digi and work the bad mojo for a good cause.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Aggie...
    Just remember this...
    tim in san jose
    That did it!!! I've GOT to try all three!!

Interesting, isn't, Aggie? Someone knows more about what you want than you do..??
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin