Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,139   Online: 1153

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The unfortunate truth is that film in most formats will continue to be available on a limited basis, but it's going to cost a pretty penny. For those of us who shoot film (and lots of it) for a living, it's going to hurt. Wonder how high I can push my prices before people stop calling? In my portrait market, I'm betting there's a pretty high threshold, but for weddings, I know I'mg oing to have to consider d****** to avoid going broke.

That's depressing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    After I read this, I went to the IlfoPro forum & posted this info in the Ilford News section of the forum, asking if this was the 'real deal'....wwweeeeeellllllll, they locked that section of the forum and removed my posting!!! At first, I thought that I'd posted the darned thing somewhere else in the forum, but after I did a search, I realized what they'd done.

Someone else posted this info in the Traditional B&W Photography section and they have not locked that one up yet. Very odd response!

Jeanette
    Jeanette, perhaps they are in damage control mode. I noticed that in the press release story at the beginning of this thread the possibility of a buyer for the company had not yet been ruled out. This means they want to continue trading.
    It's likely that Ilford have acknowedged the company is having trouble trading successfully and the prime shareholders want a buyer - but liquidation is a possibility. When things are this uncertain in a large company, mass missinformation resulting in previous loyal customer moving to alternative products would be enough to put the last nail in the coffin for them.
    News travels fast on the net.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While the loss of Ilfrod would be very sad, sadder still the people who could lose their jobs.

Major Bummer...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    In my portrait market, I'm betting there's a pretty high threshold, but for weddings, I know I'mg oing to have to consider d****** to avoid going broke.

That's depressing.
    If I were doing any type of photography commercially now, I wouldn't even think of using film. In fact, if I could afford to capitalize a Phase One back for the 'blad, I'd buy it now and get into the event photography business.

Some dreadfully untalented people around here are making a killing photographing sports teams, first communions, weddings, school graduations, etc. with their semi-pro Fuji S2 and Canon 10D cameras. And the quality of the delivered prints is quite poor. I could cut their 'you know what's off.

It would pay for an awfully big truckload of large format film for my assignments from within.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Ilford folds it will be a tragedy for the employees' families, their communities, The UK and for consumers of traditional photographic materials worldwide. I really thought they would be the last photo giant to fall. Now I am torn between buying up all the Ilford paper I can afford to buy or stocking up on paper of unknown origins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If my memory ios correct Ilford survived an acquisition by CIBA many moons ago, I don;t know how much this'll affect the customers but I still am optimist.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Hmmmm. Classic 200 is fine with me. Not an expansion film but it has held up very well with minus and normal development. As long as my processing is consistent, my negs are consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Aggie...

Just remember this...

Efke25 stinks, Classic200 is garbage, and Adox21 should be used for cows toilet paper. You don't want to mess with any of them.

Any other film, feel free to invest your time in exploring.

tim in san jose
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not good news at all.

I've often thought that far too many management decisions are based solely on the advice (it should be "advice" - at times it is more "domination") of the Accountants. Bean Counters are *very* good and necessary to keep track of the finances and financial history of a company ... but they are abysmally inept in predicting the future. They lack any trace of clairvoyance ... that takes imagination, and one can only shudder at the thought of "Imaginative Accounting".
    That mini-rant over...

I am a member of the Professional Photographers of America - at least I think I am ... I have been engaged in - so far - a four month struggle with their accounting (don't ask!!) over the charges to my Mastercard account for the payment of my dues. I'd like to - just ONCE - be able to call to straighten things out - and NOT hear, "Oh ... It shouldn't have been done that way. I'll have to check with my supervisor and get back to you ..."
    Hmm ... another rant..

Anyway... I recieve and read the magazine ... "The Professional Photographer". One would think that by now, it would be purely "digital". It is NOT.
    While they certainly have articles dealing with the "Wunnerful Mysteries of Photoshop", there is a lot directly related to film and images taken on film.
    Certain areas ... "Sports Teams" - Little league, Pop Warner Football, Youth Soccer ... are dominated by "digital" - but even then - the upscale digital backs are not in wide use ... those involved in that type of work just will not - or cannot - afford a US$10,000 (el cheapo) to ~ US$30,000 back for the 'Blad.

In "News Photography" - I think the use of film, now, is rare. One would think that the "Wedding" crowd would be massively in favor of "Digital", but that apparently is not the case, either. Even with all the hype, and all the "Bean-Counter" analyses - "PROVING" that you just GOTTA go digital... the massive capital outlay, the massive STORAGE necessary, and the spectre of obsolescence in the near future (all great advantages to the digital "Pushers") are more burdens than some - most - want to bear ... so - a LOT of that is still captured - on FILM.

This is not meant to be excruciatingly accurate ... but I haven't SEEN an ad for a "High-End" digital back, Phase One, Leaf, JOBO ... for the 'Blad - or Bronica, or Mamiya .. in the last three of four issues of Pro Phot. There ARE ads for film.

There ares still a great number of Film cameras out there. The one thing that disturbs me more than any other is the digital printing done by the one-hour labs. That will have NO direct effect on what I do ... but I can see a massive decline in the overall demand for chemical color papers, and their availability for the small labs. THAT bothers me FAR more than anything else.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not sure about that last point, Ed. Fuji Frontier prints on the same Crystal Archive used for optical prints. For the kind of volume the minilabs do I wonder if it's easier to keep an inkjet or a roller transport printer clean, and which can put out more prints per hour?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have thought for awhile that B&W film and paper mfg would eventually consolidate down to a couple of players in Eastern Europe, India or China. I guess the speed with which that is happening has taken me by surprise.

I will remain optimistic that Ilford or its products under whatever name will remain on the market. Ilford probably counts for 40% of the available choice for paper, chemistry and film. There is still a pretty good demand for their products.

I still believe that there will be an adequate supply of B&W film in roll and sheets for the future. The numbers are to good for a company in Eastern Europe or Asia with extremely low labor costs and limited regulation not to be able to make a good profit with the remaining film market. Especially when they will be able to increase prices when the market stabalizes on the number of artists, hobbyists and professionals that still want film.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin