Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,459   Online: 1117

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Telling wonderful stories that all the pros are switching back is like Custer telling his men that he thinks he can hear a bugle off in the distance. The reinforcements just ain't comin'.

Michael McBlane

Custer was listening to the opening of Mahler 5 on his ipod...he wasn't paying attention in the first place.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does anyone know if Ilfochrome is included in this restructuring? I have just started using it so I would hate for it to go away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Microbreweries?

Okay... in my own fantasy world, I'm thinking that the b&w expendible industry might go from large multinationals to regional "microbreweries", where you could order a few boxes of "rio-grande Royal X" each season from that film company that operates out of an old aircraft hanger in Waco or some such.

Are there comparatively smallish coating machines that could produce 35mm/120/LF film on plastic stock with high-level QA?

I'm thinking it wouldn't take too much effort to learn to make my own developers, and if I got really shoved into the digital corner, I could become motivated to learn Pt/Pn, but I don't see any way I, as a private individual, could produce film stock as good as what I get from the large outfits.

thinking out loud... maybe too loud...

-KwM-
    Last edited by kwmullet; 08-24-2004 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fumblefinger correction

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Hmmmm. Classic 200 is fine with me. Not an expansion film but it has held up very well with minus and normal development. As long as my processing is consistent, my negs are consistent.
    I am always amazed at how little sense of humor some people have. THOSE films are the ones I use. I was warning Aggie away from messing with them as she has had a run of bad luck with her favorite films.

I hate explaining humor.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm late on thread, again...

Really awful news.

Here's hoping they find a buyer who can keep their existing trad B&W lines going (especially as that's every B&W film and paper that I regularly use!) and keep their workforce intact (I've been in a similar situation and it isn't a fun place to be).

Obviously, if anyone hears anything then please post it.

Regards,

Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, bad news isn't it. I've just done my bit and ordered a 'fridge full of 120 - just a thought, where will we put the food!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Ed wrote:

Anyway... I receive and read the magazine ... "The Professional Photographer". One would think that by now, it would be purely "digital". It is NOT.

Ed they must be sending you copies from the 1990s. As of the July issue virtually every display ad in the magazine that dealt with cameras, labs, and everything but lighting was digital.
    Really?

I retrieved the July 2004 issue, and there is a lot of "digital". However, one cannot overlook the Fuji Film insert between pages 34 and 35 ... not completely dedicated to film, but a LOT of copy about Velvia 100F, and Portrait NPH 400. I'd say close to 50/50 film/digital. Then there is the marvelous "Message from the farthest land", starting on page 64, All done with a Canon EOS-1N with Fujichrome Velvia film, except one image on page 68; Fuji Provia 100. Don't forget "Rites of Passage" on page 98... Cambo 4x5 on Kodak 160 vc Film.
    That was July 2004. More "digital" images than usual.

August is freshest in my memory ... Inside front cover ... "No one film can capture skin tones and color this beautifully ... - New Portra 800 film (Kodak).

This is all *grinding* overkill. I do not have my head buried in the sand ... certainly there is a LOT of digital photography being done. The point I am trying to make is that there is a lot more for the professional to consider than a Lemming follow-up, with the idea of "everyone (else) is doing it .. it must be the only way to go."
    EVERYONE is not doing digital photography. The"Digital Revolution" is not complete. There is no wholesale mass movement of *everyone* to digital.

Many, (this may be biased, but everyone I know) are still capturing on film, and the "digital" manipulation is done at some following time. I personally doubt that film/ chemical will ever "go away" completely ... no more that photography succeeded in totally replacing oil painting.

I can't remember the last advertisement I saw for a Leaf, Phase 1, Sinar, Jena, or other High-End back for the 'Blad.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hopefully the worst will not happen but if it does I believe Les mentioned something on a previous posting about former Eastern block countries becoming the mainstay of B&W film-maybe Hans O Mahn,the makers of Maco film products will buy them out.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    We have all seen these types of threads about the death of film, which may turn out to be true in some way over time. What I never see in the threads are the sales numbers. Kodak is not selling a hundred rolls per person to a couple of thousand users. They have sales of $13 Billion and the infoimaging industry is about $385 Billion a year. Just the film industry in China is expected to be $870 Million.

My questions:

What are the sales numbers of film? I can't seem to find the numbers. I think they are making money but the numbers are not going up which drives stock down.

Why are places like Kodak taking losses to go to digital? My suspicion is that they perceive that they will make more money. Most households buy less than 16 rolls per year and use the same camera for a long time, but they would probably would replace their digital camera sooner for a higher cost and would also replace the storage cards at a higher costs.

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    Does anyone know if Ilfochrome is included in this restructuring? I have just started using it so I would hate for it to go away.

consider this a rumor--an ilford tech told me about a year ago that ilfochrome was "history" as far as photofinishing goes. I didn't think much of it, but he predicted a year and a half life left for it....

I wrote this off as gossip--otoh, another tech (another company) told me back in the late 90s, that Ilford was "getting out" of the processing business (machines, commercial lab gear). Same thing here--this guy was from a competitor, so who knows? But then, Ilford did in fact, quit making their processors and they seriously scaled back support.

Funny--our ilford machine broke down last Tuesday. A service call was placed the next day, and for 2 days we played phone tag. It's been a week down, but should be fixed soon. I just had an order of 2 cases of Ilford paper, a case of Ilford 4x5 film. BUT--there was twice that for kodak, plus kodak b&w chem, plus 6 mos. worth of E6. On top of that was 2 cases of Polaroid sheet film. Everything except the Ilford has arrived.

it's not unusual for there to be delays and delivery problems with Ilford stuff though. I have gotten some mixed signals in the past year or so from the repair techs--so it will be interesting to see what they have to say about future parts and support. After all, these service contracts are for 1500-2000 a year. If the company tanks out in the middle of one.....bummer....I'd like to think they would let us know, but they never told us they quit making the processing machine until about 2 yrs afterwards.

My opinions only. Not my employers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin