Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,219   Online: 817

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I can't remember the last advertisement I saw for a Leaf, Phase 1, Sinar, Jena, or other High-End back for the 'Blad.
    Well in Ipswitch, England or any other town of it's ilk the commercial, and advertising photographers would all be using digital backs already. Certainly most of my friends shoot digital and even the most luddite computer loathing took to digital imaging like a duck to water. Sure they still have to shoot film for the occasional client.

Most ads for film etc are aimed at the GP (general purpose) photographers still using film. High-End backs are one off buys to last a while and not consumables.

How many ads do you see in Photo mags for memory cards

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I swear if film is no longer produced I am throwing away all my camera gear and goign back to oils, brushes and inks exclusively. digital is s&*( and the quality comes nowhere close to film. Yeah I said it. I shoot digital and I hate it. I even went back to film for doing weddings. I wont go into it but I am sick and tired of this digital s*&^ being forced down my neck.

I pray that there will be a supplier that will not rip us off in sale prices. That woudl be a tragedy!

Photography is an art and so is print making. What a shame it would be to lose one of the great arts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Well in Ipswitch, England or any other town of it's ilk the commercial, and advertising photographers would all be using digital backs already. Certainly most of my friends shoot digital and even the most luddite computer loathing took to digital imaging like a duck to water. Sure they still have to shoot film for the occasional client.
    Most ads for film etc are aimed at the GP (general purpose) photographers still using film. High-End backs are one off buys to last a while and not consumables.
    How many ads do you see in Photo mags for memory cards
    I can't - won't - argue with the fact that they are using "digital". Are they using the US$10,000- US$30,000 Leaf - Phase One 22+ Megapixel Backs or the lesser 35mm ( - or so) 6 -13.7 (effective) Megapixel Cameras?

Digital has its place. Film has its place. I don't think digital will completely constitiute ALL Professional Equipment - ever.

Myself ... I learned on "film". Looking back, it was NEVER drudgery.... true - there was a LOT of work that I considered to be less than successful. I never regretted one image that I took. I have been disappointed, without question ... but NO REGRETS. The bright sparks of discovery - and the rare successes - more than compensated for all of the effort.

Now .. I look at some neophytes and Old Masters who have been exclusively using "digital". One, especially, with 40+ YEARS of amateur and Industrial Photography (head of a large corporate Industrial Lab) acquired a Leica Digilux. After the intial flurry of excitement ... he hasn't touched that camera for five months.

Why do I do photography? To tell the truth, I really don't know - or rather, I don't have a logical explanation.
    One thing is sure - It is NOT because it is an easy, automatic, mistakes mean *nothing*, activity - far from it.

BTW ... Do they spell the name "Ipswitch"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The coating machinery involved in making film is immense, not a bunch of little presses. My brother-in-law was tech services director for Ansco/GAF and responsible for QC on the film coating machine. This machine was several stories high and the building that housed it a couple blocks long. To keep such a machine running it requires the sale of millions of sq. feet of film. There are only 2500 registered users at APUG, who will support the manufacture of all this film?..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke
    The coating machinery involved in making film is immense, not a bunch of little presses. My brother-in-law was tech services director for Ansco/GAF and responsible for QC on the film coating machine. This machine was several stories high and the building that housed it a couple blocks long. To keep such a machine running it requires the sale of millions of sq. feet of film. There are only 2500 registered users at APUG, who will support the manufacture of all this film?..Evan Clarke

This is true when one is mass producing the stuff, but I'd be surprised if a scaled back to realistic-for-the market size plant would not be possible and, hopefully, profitable. The problem would be to convince investors (venture capatalist types e.g.) that there is a solid and continuing market for film, paper and chems. BUT....that's the province of the visionary entrepeneur. Not exactly a white knight, cavalry leading, mythical savior, but someone who can expect to make a reasonable return on investment, and most importantly....wants to!!

Or do I really have to wake up now?
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Now, just click the heels of your ruby slippers together three times and repeat after me, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home..."
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    Now, just click the heels of your ruby slippers together three times and repeat after me, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home..."
    RATS!!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    This is true when one is mass producing the stuff, but I'd be surprised if a scaled back to realistic-for-the market size plant would not be possible and, hopefully, profitable. The problem would be to convince investors (venture capatalist types e.g.) that there is a solid and continuing market for film, paper and chems. BUT....that's the province of the visionary entrepeneur. Not exactly a white knight, cavalry leading, mythical savior, but someone who can expect to make a reasonable return on investment, and most importantly....wants to!!

Fotokemika, Foma and Forte are adept in producing runs of just a few thousand meters. They can easily produce different emulsions on small runs on their already paid for coating machinery. It's not likely that anyone else is going to invest the capital to set up a new coating factory. As previously stated the coating machines are very large and costly to set up.

The scaled back plants you want are already in existence. The only question is will they survive long enough for the big players to drop out completely and the hoarded discontinued stocks to be consumed and finally give them enough of the smaller market share to remain profitable?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    They can easily produce different emulsions on small runs on their already paid for coating machinery.
    Yeah, but can they make TMax?

Have you ever tried Foma 200?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin