Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,697   Online: 847

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    uhhhh!! Hate to point this out, but Ilford just like Agfa is not gone yet...let's not bury the patient before they are gone.
    Yup.. The lines were on fire a year or so ago on how Kodak was going all digital and completely dumping their film/paper biz.. uh yeah.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    uhhhh!! Hate to point this out, but Ilford just like Agfa is not gone yet...let's not bury the patient before they are gone. I think that our supply world is going to get much smaller, but it is possible that neither company will go away. That said maybe one will become a film company, the other a paper company - the only thing we can know for certain is we can only guess at what will happen. Been thinking about a JandC film order, had not considered paper. Do know I have been waiting since June for an order of Seagull paper, keeps getting back ordered - which has left me wondering about them. This will be a rough ride, guess we better get ready to say good-bye to many old friends and hopefully Hello, to some new ones.
    Couldn't agree more Mike. The fact they are looking for a buyer indicates they wish to continue trading (to me).
    Sure we are a few drops in the ocean. But the surest way to bury them is for the largest chatting community in the world - on the net - to start looking for alternatives as soon as there is a rumour started. Call me a naive idealist, but I'll be stocking up on my Delta and keenly awaiting any info Les is able to pass on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    But the surest way to bury them is for the largest chatting community in the world - on the net - to start looking for alternatives as soon as there is a rumour started.
    Conversely what about those of us who have been using mainly alternatives for many years. I can honestly say that after years using Ilford films first FP3 & HP3 then mainly FP4 with XP1&2 for Rock concert work I switched to Agfa AP25 & AP100 then the APX versions, as well as also using Tmax100 for larger format work and at the same time from Ilford papers to Agfa as well. That was over 16 years ago.

As a photographer you need to have intimate knowledge of how to get the best from your materials, but market forces also bring about change Agfa B&W films are harder to buy off the shelf here in the UK so for large format I switched entirely to Tmax 100, likewise with paper switching in this case to Forte (Classic Arts) Polywarmtone.

Should I feel disloyal in not supporting / buying from our leading UK manufacturer, perhaps - I'm not sure, what I do know is their products are superb, but so are those from Kodak, Agfa etc and it's a free market.

The truth is that in my case I've almost totally stopped using my 35mm and Medium format kit in favour of digital, for what I want the quality is higher. This leaves the serious work to large format B&W plus the odd bit of colour

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    (we can't count Fuji as all their B&W is Ilford anyway)
    BTW: Where is that piece quoted from?

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The market has shrunk and the business must adjust. Investors and banks would be crazy not to be nervous, I know I would be if my life savings were in stocks of a film company. I do believe that an equilibrium will be reached in the next year or so. As long as there is a market for film there will be film.

I think I need to log off and take more photographs. Its depressing to see this happen and I'm sad for the employees, I hope someone comes to their rescue.

I wonder if some company like Hasselblad [or their parent] would buy them out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    best
    Stefan
    I have also heard this on several occasions. Don't know if it's true, but won't be surprised. This goes on a lot in industry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot some Fuji Neopan 1600 recently and the developing times for ilford chemistry were identical to Delta 1600. The finished results were also similar. It was cheaper than Delta as well. Could this be one of Ilfords problems?
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [/QUOTE]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ian Grant

best

Stefan[/QUOTE]

It's common knowledge that Fuji's Black and white films are manufactured by Ilford, think I also saw it stated in a review in the BJP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin