Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,662   Online: 725

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Radical thought

In view of Ilfords administration, Afga hiving off its traditional photography arm, Kodak reducing it's product range in some (a lot of) markets, (we can't count Fuji as all their B&W is Ilford anyway): - A thought.

Why don't we as praticising silver based photographers buy a controlling interest in a couple of good companies, to ensure our supplies.

Paper has to be Forte, film we could start with EFKE and get an Ilford or Agfa emulsion chemist to help evolve

All ideas welcome :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not buy the Ilford equipment and ship it to Calgary? I bet you could survive with the growing numbers of apuggers. Not to mention some on other websties like the large format site of Tuan's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love the concept! hhmmmm............ Forte(?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember we do have a good supplier in J&C, we must support them also. We don't want them to go the way of the yellow God.

Images
    Or just support J&C and drive all of our business their way...
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    In view of Ilfords administration, Afga hiving off its traditional photography arm, Kodak reducing it's product range in some (a lot of) markets, (we can't count Fuji as all their B&W is Ilford anyway): - A thought.

Why don't we as praticising silver based photographers buy a controlling interest in a couple of good companies, to ensure our supplies.

Paper has to be Forte, film we could start with EFKE and get an Ilford or Agfa emulsion chemist to help evolve

All ideas welcome :-)
    A nice idea but rather romantic. The costs involved in such a project are horrendous, why do you think that Agfa have been up for grabs for at least 8 years and Ilford would have gone 2 years ago but for the boost in income they got from the introduction of Digital Gallerie paper.

You'd get a lot of support for the project initially but when you asked for hard cash I'm afraid reality would surface and the support would dwindle. I'm afraid the small companies fron the eastern block countries will be the only source of supply for traditional photo materials in the not too distant future.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Aggie]Why not buy the Ilford equipment and ship it to Calgary?/QUOTE]

Cos it's too expensive and they aren't bankrupt yet, and Forte papers are far better IMHO

Also why ship to a colony when mainland Europe is far more appropriate !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Les

Yes my radical idea is perhaps romantic and off the cuff but actually it's practical.

Perhaps you are blinkered by your Ilford links, there's very few good darkroom suppliers now left in the UK.

That's why I think we should buy into the former Eastern block manufacturers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just my 0,02

I guess we already buy into darkroom suppliers by voting with our wallets. The main goal of big companies like Kodak and Agfa is to please shareholders, not customers. So lets concentrate on the smaller, more client-oriented companies like FORTE, BERGGER, EFKE etc. They are more suitable to serve smaller customer-oriented market.

G.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Radical thought

Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    I guess we already buy into darkroom suppliers by voting with our wallets.
    Thats exactly my thoughts "So lets concentrate on the smaller, more client-oriented companies like FORTE, BERGGER, EFKE etc." Well thats the idea but Bergger papers are Forte anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin