Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,803   Online: 1163

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a nice one I bought through American Science & Surplus (www.sciplus.com) for under $20 I think.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I started out with a triple beam scale, but later went to an Acculab digital scale and have never looked back. The digital scale settles down much more quickly, resulting in making developers and other solutions much quicker and more pleasurable, so that I can get back to making photographs sooner. My digital scale, just like my digital light meter, and my digital darkroom timer, are just tools that work better than analog ones. They don't make my analog photography any less "pure."

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    ... If I need to measure something like 5g, I will put a 50g weight on the scale and tare to that point. The 5g increment is then likely to be more accurate ...
    Great idea. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also have two "My Weigh" units - one in the kitchen gets used every day to measure out the dog food. The Tare function can be quite handy when mixing stuff. And one of my scales did come from someone in BC called "Rollins papers and stuff."
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...chemistry.html

i got mine at balances.com and have been using it for years.

i was going to buy a ohaus, but ran out of "ebay-patience"

YMMV
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a nice little digital scale at the closest pawn shop. $30, I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    If you wanna stay analog, get an Ohaus triple-beam scale. Never needs batteries either; it will last the rest of your life.
    I have one of these. They're quite accurate and easy to use. The one I have can weigh more than 2kg and it's accurate to 0.1g.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a My Weigh one that fits in the palm of my hand. Perfect. Cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    And for liquids there is a plenty plastic 3 ml graduated pipettes.
    Franol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have bought two of these;
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/precisi...solution-15004 . Both work perfectly after more than a year of use. Suitable for accurate and repeatable measurements starting from about 0.10 g. Repeatability seems to be +/- 0.01 g. Calibration has not shifted during the year of use.

A calibration weigh is a must if you want precise measurements: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital...00-grams-15761 (mine is really close to 100g, three or four decimals IIRC when checked on high-accuracy lab scale)

Power saving mode is a minus, as well as blue backlight. Red would be more suited to darkroom and easier to read .

So, even cheap Chinese product can actually be very good. Beware that even if you find somewhere scale many times more expensive , you may get exactly the same Chinese stuff rebranded. The "real" scales that come with real guarantee on accuracy then are VERY expensive.

I have also a DealExtreme scale with 0.001 g resolution up to 20 g, it is of same quality. And then I have bought the very similar looking scale from Ebay for weighing up to 2000 g. These all cost less than 50 USD together and cover a broad range of measurements from 0.01 g to 2000 g with amazing accuracy of about +/- 0.002 g -- +/- 0.01 g -- +/- 0.1 g.
    Last edited by hrst; 01-28-2011 at 05:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin