Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,824   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Scale Recommendations for Measuring Chemicals

After using lots of developers Formulary 130, Neutol Wa, LPD, Formulary Amidol,
    I've gotten the chemicals for mixing Amidol for contact printing on Azo & Lodima.

Does anyone have some recommendations for inexpensive (digital ) scales for weighing amounts less than 250grams?
    I know there are lots out there....any likes & dislikes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I *think* we're allowed to use d*g*t*l scales... :-)

Searching eBay will find you lots of incredibly cheap "jeweler's scales", with ranges around 100 to 200 g and claimed accuracy of 0.01 g. I don't really believe the latter, but I don't need that kind of accuracy either, and many of them literally cost only a few dollars. I ended up getting a ProScale LC-50, I believe, from a seller called "Old Will Knott Scales"---so far it works fine.

Obviously this is the low-end solution. I can't prove that I wouldn't get better results with a more expensive, more known-precise lab scale.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have one in your community, check out a local Head Shop, they are likely to have highly accurate low price scales in stock, no I'm not joking, you might want to call ahead before you go, but they should have what you are looking for. Tell them what you need the scale for, and they will point you to what you need.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you wanna stay analog, get an Ohaus triple-beam scale. Never needs batteries either; it will last the rest of your life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    http://canadianweigh.com/

I use a "My Weigh" (forget which one.. about $100), they work just peachy and the accuracy is quite good, and repeatable
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've used a My Weigh digital scale in the kitchen for years (also purchased from Old Will Knott) and I've been pretty happy with it. They offer a pretty wide range of models, I'm sure they have one that will do what you want.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks folks. That gives me a good place to start. HB...I remember the triple beams from school. My darkroom is a little small to have one sitting out & really I'd rather buy another 454g of amidol and a cheaper scale. I do use a Pentax digital spot meter so my soul is already impure though....but thanks for the thought

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got my digital scales via Ebay from China. Capacity is 300 grammes with a precision of 0.01 grammes. Amazing price too, $13 all up, shipping included!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using an inexpensive Acculab GSI-200 after a good scale went bad on me. I use closely calibrated, extremely good scales at work and have some items that I weighed there to double check occasionally and it has stayed very accurate. Load cells tend to be less accurate at their extremes and this is worse with lesser grade scales such as mine. If I need to measure something like 5g, I will put a 50g weight on the scale and tare to that point. The 5g increment is then likely to be more accurate. I use a firearms reloading scale for small amounts, too. Mine is a simple balance from RCBS. I have my recipes on spreadsheets that also calc the grains equivalent for small amounts (15.4324 grains per gram). This is great for getting your restrainer chemicals and their typical small amounts measured accurately. I've been working around the 200g maximum quite easily by measuring incremental amounts to the total.

Maybe I've just been lucky with the little Acculab but I can recommend it from single example experience.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also have an Acculab (mine is a model VIC-511) that I'm quite happy with. That said it was cost quite a bit more that the ebay china scales but in the long run will probably be cheaper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin