Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,121   Online: 939

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinol and HP5+?

I have for years and years been using Ilford's Ilfosol S to process HP5 and HP5+ film. I know what it will give me and I like it. I have this bottle of Rodinol developer sitting on my shelf and was wondering what kind of results it would give with my film type. From what I've read, Rodinol is used primarily with finer grained slow films to give very good sharpness. Of course I will "try it and see", but I was just wondering if anyone else uses or has used this combination of developer and film, and what kind of results they got with it. My next roll of 120 HP5+ is going into the Rodinol so I will see for myself, but I'm just curious about what to expect. Can anyone help?
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I've never tried HP5+ in Rodinal, I regularly develop 120 Fortepan 400 in Rodinal 1:50. I get grain (which I don't find objectionable depending on the subject), but I also get incredible sharpness. The kind of sharpness that makes me feel like I could cut myself on the images.

Give it a whirl...with the right subjects I'll bet it's an amazing combination.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Although I've never tried HP5+ in Rodinal, I regularly develop 120 Fortepan 400 in Rodinal 1:50. I get grain (which I don't find objectionable depending on the subject), but I also get incredible sharpness. The kind of sharpness that makes me feel like I could cut myself on the images.

Give it a whirl...with the right subjects I'll bet it's an amazing combination.
    HP5 + in Rodinal is OK and my wife used this combo for about 2 years whilst I did HP5+ in Xtol. Side by side comparisons at 10x8 showed better results in Xtol (used neat). Having had Rodinal in the darkroom for a large number of years I would say it is more suited to slower films unless you are looking for grain. Also Rodinal is super for most infrared films. That is what I use it for these days. A very good developer all the same - give it a go it may be what you looking for.

Neil Souch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sometimes use HP5+ and rodinal, I can't remeber the times though. It is a good combination for me, but that's because I usually only use HP5+ with my Holga, when I want grain. HP5+ and HC-110 is also a nice combination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can remember that when I was just beginning to set up my B+W darkroom and looking for film/developer combinations, Ilford gave info on other manufacturers' products but Kodak did not. I would be interested in souping Kodak's infra-red film in Rodinol and maybe using Kodak's HC110 with HP5 if it's more economical. Where can I find starting points for temp/times for these combos?
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Expect an incredibly sharp negative, with grain. HP5 grain is not bad though, kinda clean looking.
    Very good tonality and if you overagitate you may blow the highlights.
    With Rodinal 1+50 I've found that it's best to agitate only once/minute

Quote Originally Posted by frank
    I have for years and years been using Ilford's Ilfosol S to process HP5 and HP5+ film. I know what it will give me and I like it. I have this bottle of Rodinol developer sitting on my shelf and was wondering what kind of results it would give with my film type. From what I've read, Rodinol is used primarily with finer grained slow films to give very good sharpness. Of course I will "try it and see", but I was just wondering if anyone else uses or has used this combination of developer and film, and what kind of results they got with it. My next roll of 120 HP5+ is going into the Rodinol so I will see for myself, but I'm just curious about what to expect. Can anyone help?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frank I use that combination and I find the same results as Titrisol. It will definately give you clean, 'honest' and defined grain which is quite noticeable on HP5. I agitate once a minute (the Rodinal) - you do need to be careful if there is high SBR, the highlights can block up quite easily. Nice tonal ranges and acutance. I like it for LF work, would try it on 35mm by assessment .

Typical example attached. Notice the highlights - burnt those in for 90sec, and only just there in the print.
    Last edited by John McCallum; 08-25-2004 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frank,

Try Kodak infrared @ 8 mins in Rodinal 1:50 dilution. Would advise that you bracket 1 +/- stops when exposing the Kodak infared film. Then work from the best looking neg.

Neil.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin