Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 892

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I'm starting to think that Kodak is going to be king of the b&w world very soon.
    ...... they might come out on top. Again.
    On top, again ? Kodak have always been the back runner here in Europe. Ok their films are on a level pegging with others, and I use TMX100 in all formats, but their papers certainly aren't, and never have been.

I do like Agfa APX100 (ISO 100) when available but get almost identical results from Kodak's 50 ISO film Tmax 100 - see all John Sextons essays on T-max films !

If the worst were to happen some of the former Eastern Block cointries produce far nicer and more versatile papers than Kodak IMHO

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by George Losse
    David,

The world is a strange and wonderful place. It could happen......

But with Kodak's prices on film?????????
    I wouldn't think they would be king again.

Are their films three to five times better then others?
    They are often priced three to five times the price of other films.
    well--actually--if you buy enough, it's not that expensive....our contract prices have changed a bit over the past few years, mostly due to a new purchasing system, but we used to get film, paper & chemistry at 80% off. Even now, the price of E6 is lower than the hazmat fee. Everything's lower than what a consumer pays off the street--just because of the large quantities. Polaroid, fuji, ilford etc. It's all about even.....there are probably more kodak materials used than anything though. They're so entrenched in industrial/gov't labs it's hard to believe there's even any other manufacturers of film & paper....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kodak's US prices are mostly marketing. They think they can get more here, so they charge more and do get more. For example, B&H sells TMax 100 24 exp, 35mm for:

$3.39 for US made for US consumption
    $2.49 for US made for export
    $2.19 for imported.

So the real difference in US production cost is $0.30?

Charlie

Images
    I buy Tri X 135-36 that was made in the USA, Finished in England and imported back to the US for more than a dollar less per roll than Tri X that was made and stayed here.

You figure it out... I can't.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    As for Kodak's papers being of lower quality than EU papers, I think there are a few Azo users who would disagree.
    Now thats not what I meant, Kodak papers are of a different quality. As far as I'm aware Kodak don't import Azo papers into the UK. Far fewer people here use large format and particularly 10x8 and larger. There are a lot of good papers on the market in Europe and choice is ultimately a very personal preferance

It's more that Kodaks range of papers has never been as common here and the availability variable.
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-26-2004 at 02:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Clay wrote, "So we ended up with Tri-X, but strangely enough, they did not even bother to put it in 12x20 film boxes. They just slapped new labels on some old 16x20 paper boxes that they had. I don't really mind this except that I think it is an indication that they are not terribly concerned with what we really want."

You're upset that you talked Kodak into doing a custom run for you because they did not use the "right" size of box for packaging? Perhaps next time you need to include the box design into your negotiations and see how much having custom made 12x20 boxes adds to the price of the run. I suspect you will be wishing they had just slapped the film into some of those 16x20 boxes they have laying around already...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I'm starting to think that Kodak is going to be king... very soon.
    Sorry, but Elvis will ALWAYS be the King!
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Kodak is still in the game. Didn't they recently strike an accord with Lucky Film in China? IIRC they bought a 15% interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just for the record, Kodak Polymax FB fine art is superb and can go toes to toe with Oriental Seagul VCFB any day of the week IMHO!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Just for the record, Kodak Polymax FB fine art is superb and can go toes to toe with Oriental Seagul VCFB any day of the week IMHO!
    I haven't used Oriental in years but Polymax FB is a beautiful paper. I've stopped using anything else.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin