Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 754

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    is there more than one efke plant?

i remember reading about a year ago that an ekfe plant was closed down, and jorge just mentioned in another thread that efke was closed ...

can you tell us if ekfe is having troubles too?

thanks!

- john

Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    Maco films are made By Fotokemika. Maco has no coating machinery.

UP25+ = Efke 25
    UP64 = Efke 50
    UP100+ = Efke 100
    Ort 25 - made by Efke
    Genius Print Film - made by Efke
    Infrared Film - made by Efke
    Liquid Emulsion - Made by Efke
    Maco 127 color films - Cut and rolled by Efke
    Maco Expo paper - Efke
    Maco PO100 - Efke
    Maco Cube - Efke

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do these companies make both the emulsion and the base?

If they are not making the base for their films, how healthy are those companies that are the film makers' suppliers? If they close down, even the small film manufacturers will be affected.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    is there more than one efke plant?

i remember reading about a year ago that an ekfe plant was closed down, and jorge just mentioned in another thread that efke was closed ...

can you tell us if ekfe is having troubles too?

thanks!

- john
    Several years ago the factory was moved from Zagreb to Samabor. The factory was never closed down just moved to a different location. Last year they went through a reorginazition which allowed them to reduce their work force and become more efficient in their operations. As with any small company their long term outlook is directly related to their sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Do these companies make both the emulsion and the base?

If they are not making the base for their films, how healthy are those companies that are the film makers' suppliers? If they close down, even the small film manufacturers will be affected.
    None of these companies make their base material. However, while some base material suppliers may discontinue their production there are numerous sources for base material. This would not be the limiting factor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    -Manufacturer name? EFKE Fotokemika
    -factory location? Croatia
    -private/publicly held, if private who is/are the owners?
    -any info on financial heath, or health of parent company?
    -any local political instability that could interfere with production?
    -any info on future intentions/business model as relates to traditional
    materials?
    -products (brand names), product attributes as compared to similar products from the "big guys" ie-what will we be losing/gaining in the exchange?
    Here's the scoop on Fotokemika/Efke.
    The company is named Fotokemika. Their head office and factory is in Samobor (near Zagreb, Croatia). Their product brand is EFKE - both for films and papers.
    For the past year or so they've been going through reorganization/restructuring. AFAIK, the company is privately owned. I've asked various people there on several occasions about the future plans and possible developments (no pun intended), but was not able to get a straight answer. Probably depends on the owner decision.
    As for future production, I was told that they will continue production of film and paper. Paper production will probably go down a bit (sales are probably declining).
    Also, I was told that it is likely that with the current situation and prospects on the world market, they will probably have to raise prices, since their suppliers of raw products are also experiencing reduced sales - therefore the cost of raw material is bound to go up.

So far, looks like they will stay in business - no plans of closing down.

Hopefully, you guys will continue to buy Efke stuff from JandC and from other distributors, and keep them in business :-))

Maybe I'll try to get an approval from Fotokemika to visit them and prepare a report on their company with photos. That would be nice, right?

We'll see - I'll have to contact the management about this.

Regards,

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

With the dis-involvement of the giant companies, there will still be a demand - although diminishing - and possibly not profitable for the large companies, but the smaller, less well known manufacturers will see a tremendous surge in their business as the times unfold.

I am sure that if Agfa leaves the traditional film/paper business, some of the demand for their products will immediately shift to Ilford, as an example. The pitfall here is two or three companies seeing an overall decrease in demand, and all deciding to leave the field together.

I would say that a company like J&C might tenaciously continue on during this chaos ... and wind up smelling like a rose.

Anyone remember the introduction of digital watches? I had one from Texas Instruments... blank black face - and one would press a button to light the power hungry LEDs to read the time. They have advanced and improved ... but .. I am now wearing a RADO *analog* watch - complete with hands and a face. I can't tell if it is A.M. or P.M. -- and I don't care.

Automatic transmission were *certain* to completely replace manual transmissions ... there are more of them now ... but complete replacement? ... I don't think that will ever happen.

What are the Luddites here to do? I can only recommend Ed Sukach's Patented Flavored Inner Tube Strips - to be held between one's teeth during "interesting times." Flavor of the month: "Tia Maria".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you Denis P- if you do indeed get a chance to visit or have any more contact with them please report your findings.

If things get real ugly we may be able to leverage the power of (even our small) numbers to throw our support behind the MLTS (Most Likely To Survive) factory.

I would remind some folks however, that saying things like, "I'm hoping J and C will survive" is missing the point-
    I want J and C to prosper of course, but that is a little like saying "I know there is a nationwide shortage of tomatoes, but I'm counting on my corner grocer to pull me through" - not a whole lot they can do if the supply dries up.

By the way, thank you also JandC for your excellent support and insight on this thread and APUG in general. I will be ordering some items next week. Also i, posted a link around here somewhere to a Russian manufacturer of photographic plates and papers that may be of interest to you.

The more we know the better we can fight.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5

By the way, thank you also JandC for your excellent support and insight on this thread and APUG in general. I will be ordering some items next week. Also i, posted a link around here somewhere to a Russian manufacturer of photographic plates and papers that may be of interest to you.

The more we know the better we can fight.

Matt
    We are aware of and have both spoken to and tried products from Slavich and Svema, the two former film producers in Russia. We believe that quality wise the Eastern European firms are much better and also in terms of their emulsions. We also have sources for better economy films at better prices. So at this time these two firms have less to offer than the other factories do.

Someone mentioned Tura in a previous post. They also are a re-brander for example Tura 150 = APX 100 and Tura 400 = APX 400.

We have visited all of these factories in the past couple of years. They are all capable of surviving if demand is sufficient and are all capable of producing small quantities of many various films cost effectively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    "We have visited all of these factories in the past couple of years. They are all capable of surviving if demand is sufficient and are all capable of producing small quantities of many various films cost effectively."

Best news I've heard lately. Thanks!

I agree jdef..That is Great News

would like to remind everyone that, recently Polaroid went through something like what Ilford is going through and we do still have Polaroid around. Let's not panic, while I agree we should not put our heads in the sand about the lose of any of our films or different size's, we need to remember to support as much as possible any vendor we hope to keep around. Spottone is gone, which many do not feel is a lose, but they were a vendor for many years and were a part of B&W photography - history now, just like many old films and papers.

Last numbers I read still put film as a $1 Billion plus business, get down to B&W and I'm sure it is in the million $ range, but someone will still want that business.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There used to be a plant in Uruguay that made papers similar to AGFA Brovira dn Portriga (the one with Cd)
    The boxes were orange and the labels blue (just like AGFA's) but I can't remember the brand.
    Last time I bought stuff from that brand was in the mid 90s.... anyone knows if they are still around?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin