Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,140   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Name the players = products

With the news from Ilford and Agfa, a lot of us have been pointing out the great resources we have with the smaller manufacturers of film and paper- I for one am a little unclear on exactly who's who and who makes what (I know there is some "overlap")...

Anyone mind taking a crack at giving a good overview of the current "lay of the land" on these smaller manufacturers?

-Manufacturer name?
    -factory location?
    -private/publicly held, if private who is/are the owners?
    -any info on financial heath, or health of parent company?
    -any local political instability that could interfere with production?
    -any info on future intentions/business model as relates to traditional
    materials?
    -products (brand names), product attributes as compared to similar products from the "big guys" ie-what will we be losing/gaining in the exchange?

Some of these issues could become important if our choices are going to dwindle, if anyone has any answers to help me get a better picture of whats going on I would much appreciate it.
    If someone can get me started on this, I will do what research I can, maybe this could be a group effort, at least we will have a better idea of where we stand.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sounds like something for Ralph Nader or consumer reports.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm sorry, I don't get it, why Ralph Nader?

Maybe I didn't articulate this very well, more simply put: what is the status of the smaller manufacturers we may be counting on to pursue real photography in the future? Kodak and Ilford have made press releases giving some indication as to the state of thier film business, what about Efke for example? Are Efke's sales up or down? What is it anyway, like five guys, a huge factory,what are their intentions? To make film forever? Or are they also moving into inkjet papers?

Am I being too pessimistic thinking that these are the type of questions I should be asking before I standardize on a film/paper that I like?...

Uh oh, I may have done it again, probably nobody knows/cares what the hell I'm talking about. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time

Bueller...Bueller...
    Last edited by mobtown_4x5; 08-25-2004 at 10:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -Manufacturer name? EFKE Fotokemika
    -factory location? Croatia
    -any local political instability that could interfere with production?
    materials?
    -products (brand names), product attributes as compared to similar products from the "big guys" ie-what will we be losing/gaining in the exchange?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -Manufacturer name? HANS O. MAHN & CO. KG PHOTO DIVISION
    -factory location? Germany
    -any local political instability that could interfere with production? NO
    materials?
    -products (brand names), product attributes as compared to similar products from the "big guys" ie-what will we be losing/gaining in the exchange? MACO

Maco films are made By Fotokemika. Maco has no coating machinery.

UP25+ = Efke 25
    UP64 = Efke 50
    UP100+ = Efke 100
    Ort 25 - made by Efke
    Genius Print Film - made by Efke
    Infrared Film - made by Efke
    Liquid Emulsion - Made by Efke
    Maco 127 color films - Cut and rolled by Efke
    Maco Expo paper - Efke
    Maco PO100 - Efke
    Maco Cube - Efke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So EFKE is the maker of all those?
    Whattabout ADOX?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Efke films are based on the old Adox formulas, and the new Adox brand will be made by Efke (but there's some additional confusion created by the fact that there is a Canadian company that also seems to have rights to the Adox trademark).

Foma is an independent company in the Czech Republic.

Forte is a former Kodak factory in Hungary (but don't assume that any of their products are equivalent to any Kodak products, even from the 1960s). They make J&C Classic and ClassicPan films from fotoimpex as well as Bergger, but there is conflicting information as to whether films of the same speed are all cut from the same stock.

Orwo was the East German remnant of Agfa, and they exist and are branding film, but I'm not sure what their status is now. My impression is that Orwo 125 is FP4+. I own a movie made in Poland and printed on 35mm Orwo color stock from the early 1970s that is really nice.

Lucky is the Chinese brand.

Maco is also Cachet in the U.S., but I've heard that contract may have ended.

Luminos papers packaged in Brooklyn, NY are made by Kentmere in the U.K.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good effort guys-

I knew of Efke and Foma, but didn't think of Kentmere. I am in the process of trying to do some research on the Eastern Europeans to see what thier intentions may be regarding their film manufacturing for the next few years.

Also, one thing I have found out is that "Lucky" film have now invested the funds to become an ISO900 (international quality standard) certified organization. This usually indicates overhaul of procedures and improved quality control. They may be worth another look.

Also, here is another outfit I found, they are German with a brand new US office in Seatlle. http://www.turausa.com/

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin