Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,813   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Didd Kodak introduce a new B&W paper?

Odd......they didn't check with me first.

Anyway, can anyone point me to some info on it? I went to the Kodak site, but didn't see anything. I'm just hoping it's not another RC\VC paper......

Thanks.

-Mike

It is but it is supposed to be pretty good. We will review it as soon as we can.

steve simmons
    View Camera and CameraArts

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    Odd......they didn't check with me first.

Anyway, can anyone point me to some info on it? I went to the Kodak site, but didn't see anything. I'm just hoping it's not another RC\VC paper......

Thanks.

-Mike
    here's a link to it:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....46.14.4&lc=en

sorry but it's Polycontrast IV--replaces poly III and polymax II. I used polymax II for years where I work, and then switched to multigrade IV, now I just ordered 2 cases of poly IV to try out. I've only used about 15-20 sheets so far, but from what I can tell, it seems pretty nice. Like Polymax II, it has a different type of range to it than any Ilford paper. Whether this is a good fit for your negs, is hard to say. I think it will work pretty good with the TMX we use in our studio though--but I think it might be a bad fit for the old glass plates I have to print as well. In which case, I use Ilford Warmtone.

One thing I noticed about it, is the base material--it reminded me of the base weight for a kodak dye sub print in a way. I'll probably try to get some of the D surface--it's a new surface--if I can find it in a small quantity. Our machine is down right now, so I haven't been able to give a good workout yet, all I've used is E and F surface, but I liked the little bit I used.

I just picked up some in 5x7 "E" surface at Adorama. I noticed the "D" surface was available in 100 sheet 8x10 boxes.
    I'm going to print with it tonight. I have some TMY negatives developed in Acufine that need some help (bad film/developer combination). I'll try to print a couple of Tri-x negs on it, as well and report back tomorrow.
    There was a comprehensive and well done report on it in PhotoTechniques (the issue before the current one). It will be available in RC only. I think it's optimized for Tmax, "the miracle film" , which some are taking to indicate Kodak's long range film discontinuation plans...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    from the tests I have seen there doesn't seem to be much difference between the old stuff and the new. Not enought for me to begin liking it anyway.

Seems every film I standardize on gets disco'd within months. How many of you want to pay me NOT to latch onto TMX??!!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    from the tests I have seen there doesn't seem to be much difference between the old stuff and the new. Not enough for me to begin liking it anyway.

trust me--it's different.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I saw the same analysis. The curves compared the old and new and the difference was extremely slight. Almost to the point of not being able to decern it in the real world.

I would enjoy hearing a more detailed analysis showing how it is truely different.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    I saw the same analysis. The curves compared the old and new and the difference was extremely slight. Almost to the point of not being able to decern it in the real world.

I would enjoy hearing a more detailed analysis showing how it is truely different.
    Our processor just got fixed after a week down, so I'll give it a run through with a stepwedge next time I get a chance. I pretty sure I have some of both earlier papers to compare against. I'm sorry I'm too lazy to go back to college and refresh my memory on paper sensitometry...silly me, I just buy a pack of paper and try it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DKT,
    I am interested in your test results especially if you are comparing it to polymax II. It's been my paper of choice when I want to use RC, Semi Matt. I hope the migration to this one will be "seamless". I will probably be testing it after my current stock of PolyMax II runs out.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm testing Polycontrast IV now for part of an upcoming View Camera article, and comparing it to my other paper tests. Short answer in advance: it looks really good. RC keeps shaming me into admitting that it can look good!

Bruce Barlow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin