Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,361   Online: 822

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

green robusta coffee beans and home roasting coffee

has anyone here ever experimented with actual robusta coffee beans
    for their caffenol / caffenol C &C experiments ?

is it possible to use unroasted beans ?
    is the caffic acid only released with heat from the roasting process ?

thank !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-08-2010 at 04:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not a caffenol user, but if you haven't discovered them, Sweet Maria's (http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php) sells green robusta beans.
    Roasting them isn't so difficult, you just need a Twirly pop popcorn popper, and actually not even that.
    Good ventilation in the kitchen helps.

How much coffee do you need for a (small) batch of developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting question!

Though I admit, I wish this thread could be just about the joys of home-roasting ones coffee in a popcorn popper as bdial mentions. I do it, it's great!

I bought the popper for $2 at a garage sale and the beans cost $5/lb at a local mediterranean market. That means after 1 lb. of home roasting, I've already paid for my initial investment. Most coffee costs what, about $8/lb?

Sorry, I digress...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    From the "Coffee Science Information Center":

The roasting of coffee beans dramatically increases their total antioxidant activity. A roasting time of 10 minutes (medium-dark roast) was found to produce coffee with optimal oxygen scavenging and chain breaking activities in vitro (6). A study of robusta and arabica coffees from six different countries showed that robusta samples contained significantly more reducing substances than arabica samples and that protective activity measured ex vivo was significantly greater in roasted samples than in green coffee (7).

Those statements are made for in vivo and in vitro, not in dev-tanko
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too have found a note that the maximum amount of caffeic acid is found in medium dark roast robusta beans.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for the tips !

barry, i HAVE heard of sweet marias, and tried to contact them today.
    i have a roaster nearby to me who i will hopefully be getting my robusta beans from ( tomorrow ) ...

i don't have a hot air popper, i will hopefully be using a beat on hibachi and a hot plate .. or maybe just the hot plate

thanks jerry and ian, that's just what the dr ordered !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    no need to apologize for the digression
    i have roasted + re-roasted coffee before,
    it is REALLY fun, smokey, but fun

john

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Interesting question!

Though I admit, I wish this thread could be just about the joys of home-roasting ones coffee in a popcorn popper as bdial mentions. I do it, it's great!

I bought the popper for $2 at a garage sale and the beans cost $5/lb at a local mediterranean market. That means after 1 lb. of home roasting, I've already paid for my initial investment. Most coffee costs what, about $8/lb?

Sorry, I digress...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a bag of cheap Vietnamese robusta bought for a buck from Sweet Maria's---it's one of their "educational" offerings---and I keep meaning to roast it for Caffenol but haven't gotten around to it yet. Partly I'm afraid to contaminate my roaster with that stuff!

(By the way, after years of using a popper I finally sprang for an actual roaster, and I find it's well worth it to have something that controls the smoke and chaff and that doesn't need constant attention while roasting.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just finished a cup of french press made with beans that I roasted yesterday. Few other things that I can think of taste better! Like NT, I started out with a hot air popcorn popper. It made too much smoke to do inside and it barely overcame Michigan winter to do outside. So I ended up putting the popper at the edge of my fireplace to draw up the smoke. When it finally burned out I bought a proper roaster with a catalytic element in it to eliminate the smoking problem. I buy all of my coffee from Burman Coffee in Wisconsin.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i will be picking up the coffee today ( in a few hours )
    i was told it was sumatran robusta ...
    from what i remember full city roast is just after the oils come out the
    second time so maybe tomorrow i will pull out the hibachi, get the
    aluminum pie tin out and roast ...

the roasters with the catalyst to remove the smoke seem to be nice,
    have you had any trouble with yours ?
    i know there are several manufacturers, and some seem to work better than others.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin