Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,160   Online: 985
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    wdemere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    85
    Images
    4

    LED safelight for Development by Inspection?

    I've been using a red led safelight for about 6 months now in my darkroom and it is extremely bright without fogging anything. I just plugged it into the normal room light and now don't even have a white light at all (except for the 300W for exposing Azo).

    I'm wondering if there is an LED safelight that would be in the right output range for development by inspection? What is the safe range? Even with the green safelight you can only have it on for a short time, so would an LED work better if it was limited to a particular slice of the spectrum that the green filter can't entirely filter out?

    Another idea would be an infrared led and a infrared spotting scope I guess, but I think a green led alone would be cheaper.

    Thanks,

    William

  2. #2
    Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,547
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images
    15
    I'm currently building the following system and hope to use it in the near future for 8x10 dev

    1 infrared nightvision monocular
    1 infrared LED light source
    1 glass tray

    The idea is to have the IR light source under the glass tray beaming up through the film while it's being dev'd. The infrared night vision scope can watch the development. You can find the scopes on ebay and the IR light sources at reasonable prices. I plan to post an article on it when it's up and running. The scope works great too, I am able to read very fine text on a page in total darkness at a 12inch distance. So the end result should be like deving film on a light table..

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,405
    Images
    90
    Sean.

    We are all eagerly awaiting your results from this method.

    Personally I cannot understand why you are dragging your heels. After all, you have nothing else to do

    Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

  4. #4
    Jon King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    360
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by wdemere
    I've been using a red led safelight for about 6 months now in my darkroom and it is extremely bright without fogging anything. I just plugged it into the normal room light and now don't even have a white light at all (except for the 300W for exposing Azo).

    I'm wondering if there is an LED safelight that would be in the right output range for development by inspection? What is the safe range? Even with the green safelight you can only have it on for a short time, so would an LED work better if it was limited to a particular slice of the spectrum that the green filter can't entirely filter out?
    I'm thinking of trying the green LED approach, but I've been shooting 120 film all summer, and haven't been able to try DBI. Hopefully in a month or two.
    I did enough research to find out that the wavelength of a green LED is centered at the same point as a Kodak #3 green filter, so LED's should work as well, but I have no experience on the intensity. I plan to start with a single low power (20mA) LED and go from there.

    An advantage I see with the LED approach ( I use a red LED for my main safelight) is that they can be battery operated. and placed anywhere. My 'darkroom' gets converted back to a bathroom at the end of the day, so wiring and hanging lights were needed is not an option

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    696
    Images
    21
    jdef is on the right track with the human eye's sensitivity to green. The film is panchromatic and any colour light (in the visible spectrum) will fog the film.

    The green safelight is used because it enables us to see well enough with very low light levels. You can use any colour safelight you want, or any light source including LEDs, but you must have a very small amount of light being emitted if you don't want the film fogged. You'll get the best results if you can turn the light on and off quickly without using your hands.

    Sean's method has heaps of potential. I look forward to seeing how well it works.

    Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

    Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    971
    FWIW, there is a graph somewhere that shows the wavelength of maximum sensitivity of the human eye as the intensity of light diminishes. I'll see if I can find it.

    Also, the output spectrum of LEDs is wider than most would imagine. Probably not an important issue for this purpose, but a yellow filter might help cut some blue out of the green LED light. I assume that the blue would be better removed.

    View the light of your LED reflected from the surface of a CD at the angle that shows the "rainbow" effect and you might be surprised to see what's there.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    188
    I will tell you what I have been using for the last three years. It is a little safety light that you plug on any outlet, it is green in color and it's output is a mere 4 watts although the light is very bright in the darkroom. When I develop by inspection I use a pedal to turn it on and inspect for one or two seconds, at 2 or 3 feet first but sometimes go up to 6 inches if I really need to for those extra stout negatives for Azo printing.
    I got a twin pack at Kmart for about 5 dollars. I never felt the need for a better piece of equipment all thanks to Martha Stewart.

  8. #8
    wdemere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    85
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Olivet
    I will tell you what I have been using for the last three years. It is a little safety light that you plug on any outlet, it is green in color and it's output is a mere 4 watts although the light is very bright in the darkroom. When I develop by inspection I use a pedal to turn it on and inspect for one or two seconds, at 2 or 3 feet first but sometimes go up to 6 inches if I really need to for those extra stout negatives for Azo printing.
    I got a twin pack at Kmart for about 5 dollars. I never felt the need for a better piece of equipment all thanks to Martha Stewart.
    KMart sells green safelights? Is it like a green party bulb or something? If you can give a description or a brand/part I'm on my way there now....

    Did they have the footswitch too?

    Thanks,

    William

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,627
    Images
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by wdemere
    KMart sells green safelights? Is it like a green party bulb or something? If you can give a description or a brand/part I'm on my way there now....

    Did they have the footswitch too?

    Thanks,

    William
    You can get these green footswitch extension cords (for Christmas trees) there and at most hardware stores. They are around 5.00$

  10. #10
    gainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,726
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    FWIW, there is a graph somewhere that shows the wavelength of maximum sensitivity of the human eye as the intensity of light diminishes. I'll see if I can find it.
    The wavelength of peak sensitivity of the eye shifts toward blue as illumination decreases. It would be best to get a 500 nm LED than the 550 nm. Leave out the yellow filter.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin