Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,425   Online: 795

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

HC110 and Ascorbic acid.

Some time ago I wrote in Photo Techniques about "perverting" HC110 by adding ascorbic acid and carbonate. At that time I had not thought of Glycol or TEA. My latest experiment is the following:

750 ml TEA
    32 g ascorbic or erythorbic acid
    Heat until dissolved

Add 250 ml of HC110 concentrate.

This mixture is a concentrate. It seems to be a pretty "hot" developer at 1+50 dilution with water. 8 minutes or so at 70 F will get about normal contrast with HP5+.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    I haven't completed tests. The previous version, with water and carbonate, was at least as good with regard to grain and gradation.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Talk about bringing an old thread back to life.

Pat, did you do any followup with this mixture?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    I haven't completed tests. The previous version, with water and carbonate, was at least as good with regard to grain and gradation.
    Do you have comparison scans to demonstrate this?

HC110, HC110 + additive. Identical pictures at the same magnification?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, I'd like to see this myself as a new HC-110 user. Sounds interesting.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it is interesting to me as well. I have seen a lot of posts by Patrick, but very few (maybe no) side by side comparisions, just a verbal statement.

A picture is worth a 1000 words Stephanie.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to work for the big automotive company in Dearborn...I saw the engineering talent, computer resources and time that went into doing things like the design of the intake manifolds....thinking of "improving" HC-110 kinda reminds me of kids who go down to "Super Shops" and lay down a week's pay on an after market, Edlebrock intake manifold or a set of after market headers.

Images
    Have mercy on a man in his 81st year. If I knew what to compare, side by side, I might do so. If you (any of you) have something you want to compare side by side with something I proposed, please do so. I did once upon a time do some doctoring up of HC110 which was published in Photo Techniques, but I thought that had included comparisons of portions of the same strip of film before and after.
    I have used a lot of HC110, both for film and paper. It has been several years since I bought any. There is no chance of buying any HC110 near here. When it comes to mail order in any case, I may as well buy the components of PC-TEA if I want a long lived organic concentrate. I can buy locally all but the phenidone or Metol for a quick water-mix developer for film or paper.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Besides, we are APUG. How would I convince you of the truth of what I say by sending digital information over the Internet? I can send the information you need to make the stuff and you can test it, as you would any new commercial developer, for yourself. Then you can tell me what's wrong with it.

Come to think of it, I can make paraminophenol from Tylenol and use it with ascorbic acid and dissolve it in propylene glycol to make a developer concentrate to be used with any suitable alkali or dissolve it in TEA to make a single solution concentrate: thin it with water and use.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I used to work for the big automotive company in Dearborn...I saw the engineering talent, computer resources and time that went into doing things like the design of the intake manifolds....thinking of "improving" HC-110 kinda reminds me of kids who go down to "Super Shops" and lay down a week's pay on an after market, Edlebrock intake manifold or a set of after market headers.
    I'm an 80 year old kid who didn't spend nearly as much on the "improved" (I don't remember calling it that) HC110 as I did on the original. Thinking of doing it without doing it does not give you the privilege of poking fun at me for doing it. If KODAK decides to cease manufacture of HC110 in quantities we can afford, will you then do what you are thinking of doing? I would expect something not quite so inventive, like using D-23 or D-76.

The next step after the experiments with HC110 was PC-TEA, which a lot of people are using.

If you want non-parallel parllels, how about this: The American woman, getting ready to go to the ball, puts on every piece of jewelry she has, looks in the mirror, then borows another piece from a friend. The French woman puts on what she thinks will be enough, looks in the mirror and removes piece. My father's mother was a Gaston by way of Ireland.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin