Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,275   Online: 939

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deniz, you might give PMK pyro a try if you are planning on doing enlarging. It is inexpensive (a roll of 35mm costs 12 cents US to develop), lasts a long time on the shelf and is a one shot developer so it is always fresh. If it is for your 8X10 and contact printing, then pyrocat-hd would be a good choice as it has shadow detail which won't look as murky as PMK. See some of Francesco's prints in the gallery for an example of what is possible with 8x10 and contact printing.

There are lots of good developers out there and the Darkroom Cookbook would be a good place to start. I had no intention of mixing my own chemistry, but after seeing how easy (and cheap) it is, I'm glad I did. Bulk chemicals are very inexpensive to use. If nothing else, buy the chemiclas and mix them up at your lab in school. That way you only need to pay for chemicals, which are very cheap and last a long time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    I guess I'll have to try it again. Aside from the fact that the hydroxide in Rodinal is potassium, which is just as nasty as the sodium, it is nearly neutralized in Rodinal by the bisulfite and the HCl. Certainly the solution heats up while dissolving the hydroxide, but it's not so bad if you use ice cold distilled water as the solvent, and add the hydroxide slowly so as to avoid localized boiling. I've never heard of a concentrated solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide being volatile at room temperature, but reaction with some impurities in the water, or heat of solution might produce some undesirable results. Always add the caustic to the water, and slowly. Lye has been used as drain cleaner for as long as we have had drains to clog.
    O.K. people. I’ve used concentrated KOH (50%) and solid to make electrolyte for (et c.) and can assure you that it is NOT toxic unless ingested. I have been virtually swimming in the stuff without permanent effects. There are problems and hazards associated with its use.

Mixing materials can create a mist (particulate, not vapor) which, if inhaled, can cause serious nose, throat, and lung irritation. It is a choking experience that can leave one dissipated and with serious after effects such as pneumonia. USE BREATHING PROTECTION! Those stupid painting masks sold in hardware stores will help but one would do well to invest in a better one for many applications.

Caustic spray in the eyes is really miserable and can cause serious permanent damage. NEVER handle caustic(s) without eye protection. Again, those cheap goggles sold in hardware’s will suffice.

If one is exposed to a spill, get water onto the effected areas ASAP. Remove clothing and get into a shower quickly. Conc. Caustic will dissolve hair – quickly (I know). Vinegar will neutralize caustic. We used good ol’ dilute boric acid in buckets for this purpose and they were used regularly mainly on hands.

Lastly, I would advise care in handling any and all chemicals. One never knows when a misstep will occur (Murphy’s Law) but as far as KOH, NaOH, NaCO3, et c. are concerned, there is no real environmental hazard as the stuff will quickly break down in nature into benign materials.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    my vote goes to HC110
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    O.K. people. I’ve used concentrated KOH (50%) and solid to make electrolyte for (et c.) and can assure you that it is NOT toxic unless ingested. I have been virtually swimming in the stuff without permanent effects. There are problems and hazards associated with its use.

SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

Lastly, I would advise care in handling any and all chemicals. One never knows when a misstep will occur (Murphy’s Law) but as far as KOH, NaOH, NaCO3, et c. are concerned, there is no real environmental hazard as the stuff will quickly break down in nature into benign materials.
    Thank you Dr. Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    my vote goes to HC110
    I was starting to think the exact same one!!

I will buy a bottle and give it a try..

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    I recently got a bottle of R09 to try. It's made be Calbe who hopefully aint going anywhere.
    That's certainly a Rodinal equivalent - Calbe uses the original Rodinal formula to make their R09!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Rodinal substitute

I have been using R09 purchased from JandC to process Kodak Tmax 100 with great results. The sharpness and tonal range you are used to getting with Rodinal will be found when using R09.
    Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Local photo store has 20 bottles of 125ml and they ordered 4 500ml bottles for me.. so i guess i am safe on the developer side for a while

Images
    HC110 is a pretty good choice, but not a dead ringer for Rodinal. You can mix 1 part of it with 3 parts of propylene glycol to make a thinner stock solution with the keeping qualities of the concentrate. This is handy when you deal with small amounts of highly dilute working solution. You can also mix 32 grams of ascorbic or erythorbic acid in 750 ml of triethanolamine and add 250 ml of HC110 concentrate to get a concentrate that is pretty strong when diluted 1+50.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, and most of us have eaten NaOH too..... Laugenbretzeln (bretzeln, pretzels) anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by dr bob

Mixing materials can create a mist (particulate, not vapor) which, if inhaled, can cause serious nose, throat, and lung irritation. It is a choking experience that can leave one dissipated and with serious after effects such as pneumonia. USE BREATHING PROTECTION! Those stupid painting masks sold in hardware stores will help but one would do well to invest in a better one for many applications.

Caustic spray in the eyes is really miserable and can cause serious permanent damage. NEVER handle caustic(s) without eye protection. Again, those cheap goggles sold in hardware’s will suffice.

If one is exposed to a spill, get water onto the effected areas ASAP. Remove clothing and get into a shower quickly. Conc. Caustic will dissolve hair – quickly (I know). Vinegar will neutralize caustic. We used good ol’ dilute boric acid in buckets for this purpose and they were used regularly mainly on hands.

Mama took my APX away.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin