Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,457   Online: 957

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

rodinal equivalent

with the fears of Rodinal being gone forever, i need an alternative to it.

I am looking for a developer that will;
    -give amazing sharpness
    -easy to mix(easy as rodinal+ water)
    -will last loooong like rodinal

I need your suggestions..

thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deinz, don't think you need to worry about Rodinal - PF has a kit you can mix and JandC carries R09, which is suppose to be the original Rodinal. For the record, have not used either one as yet, but plan to in the future - may place on order for film and R09 soon. Will post my findings when I do.

BTW, there are several different formulas for Rodinal on the net, plus published in many books.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    well then let me add this to my post.. i need something that i can buy off a local photo store.. i wont be ordering chemicals off internet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    with the fears of Rodinal being gone forever, i need an alternative to it.

I am looking for a developer that will;
    -give amazing sharpness
    -easy to mix(easy as rodinal+ water)
    -will last loooong like rodinal

I need your suggestions..

thank you
    Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook lists a formula under High Definition Developers - Enhanced Acutance, #35: Rodinal-type Developer.

The use of p-Aminiophenol hydrochloride which is mandatory will produce a gas that is either lethal or at best nauseating. It may be best compounded out of doors with your back to the wind -- but not in my neighborhood.

Lets hope some other brave soul will continue manufacturing Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    well then let me add this to my post.. i need something that i can buy off a local photo store.. i wont be ordering chemicals off internet.
    Deniz, given this constraint, IMHO the best thing for you to do is buy a big jug of Rodinal from your local photo store (it may need to be special ordered).

Rodinal keeps for a very long time. Against the eventuality that Agfa will stop making/marketing the stuff (Agfa have been theatening this for at least 20 years), try establishing a friendly relationship with a local chemist.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook lists a formula under High Definition Developers - Enhanced Acutance, #35: Rodinal-type Developer.

The use of p-Aminiophenol hydrochloride which is mandatory will produce a gas that is either lethal or at best nauseating. It may be best compounded out of doors with your back to the wind -- but not in my neighborhood.

What gas is that? I don't recall seeing any effervescence when I mixed the components. If you mean HCl, I don't think it has a chance to get out of the solution before it turns to KCl and H2O.

So it's alright for this brave soul to polute the rest of the world, just as long as its not my part of the world?
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Since you wish to avoid ordering over the internet, Photographers Formulary phone numbers are 1 (800) 922-5255 or 1 (406) 754-2891 ; and being as they are in nearby Montana (only a few mountains between ;-) & trend of local photo stores going digi, they may become your closest darkroom chemical supplier. I have used their kit for Rodinal & seems fine.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)

Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    What gas is that? I don't recall seeing any effervescence when I mixed the components. If you mean HCl, I don't think it has a chance to get out of the solution before it turns to KCl and H2O.

So it's alright for this brave soul to polute the rest of the world, just as long as its not my part of the world?
    You got it!

I mistakenly ascribed the terms lethal & nauseating to the inclusion of p-Aminiophenol hydrochloride. This was clumsy and in error. The correct component is Sodium hydroxide. Further, I referred to the offense byproduct as a gas when perhaps it would have been correct to use the word vapor.

I've used Sodium hydroxide and can assure you it is both lethal and nauseating if inhaled. I have inhaled the vapor and said out loud "I'm gonna die using this stuff." I didn't die but I did become nauseated. I am convinced a second inhalation would produce death on the spot.

And then there's that caustic warning.

Images
    I guess I'll have to try it again. Aside from the fact that the hydroxide in Rodinal is potassium, which is just as nasty as the sodium, it is nearly neutralized in Rodinal by the bisulfite and the HCl. Certainly the solution heats up while dissolving the hydroxide, but it's not so bad if you use ice cold distilled water as the solvent, and add the hydroxide slowly so as to avoid localized boiling. I've never heard of a concentrated solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide being volatile at room temperature, but reaction with some impurities in the water, or heat of solution might produce some undesirable results. Always add the caustic to the water, and slowly. Lye has been used as drain cleaner for as long as we have had drains to clog.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    127 Format
    I recently got a bottle of R09 to try. It's made be Calbe who hopefully aint going anywhere.

I've used it with Efke 100 (40:1 13mins agitate every 30s), and REALLY like it. I'm not planning to use anything else anytime soon.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin