Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,671   Online: 1175

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I am thinking to prepare 1.9 liters hot boiling water than mix 1.1 with water and get the 50 degrees heat.
    That would give you about 60 degrees as your tap water is probably around 20 rather than 0 but I'm sure it's close enough.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think it advisable buy a simple thermometer. It is a useful thing to have when you start developing. Depending on how warm your dev gets at room temp, you timing may be different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's a good point. You are going to need a thermometer once you start using the developer so you might as well have one to mix it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Note that there are thermometers with different ranges, intended for different purposes! I have one covering 15 to 35 Centigrade with a very precise scale (intended for black-and-white standard temperatures) and another for colour work that goes to 50 Centigrade.

If the OP buys a thermometer randomly it might be sub-optimal for one purpose or the other, or perhaps he already has a perfectly good thermometer which doesn't measure up to 50C. The suggestion to use "hot" tap water is perhaps the most practical - and is probably what most of us do(?).

Shooter
    35mm
    I just use hot tap water... In the UK the standard for a hot tap is 60C optimally but of course that varies mine is a biT cooler whereas my boyfriends is like near enough boiling!

Hope this helps

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I finally developped one roll yesterday (Kodak 125 Plus-X) with the fresly made D-76. It turned out OK. Here, a shot as an example:

http://hpics.li/5d6e93b

Shooter
    35mm
    My understanding of the need for "hot" water is just to allow the powder to dissolve easier, I don't believe that the exact temperature is all that critical. I just use hot tap water, but my tap water is from the City of Ottawa and is supposed to be in the top ten for North American Cities
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a matter of good mixing practice, the temperature should not be higher than 50-60F. At higher temperatures, oxidation is accelerated, and at significantly higher temperatures certain developer components may be broken down altogether. One should never be without a thermometer when doing any mixing if chemicals. Even a very cheap thermometer is better than nothing.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hot tap water works fine for me, too.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin