Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,704   Online: 1170

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Mixing D76 Powder without temperature

One generous APUGer sent me D76 for 3.8 liters developer. It writes mixing temperature might be 50 , 55 celcius. I have no temperature at hand and I am thinking to prepare 1.9 liters hot boiling water than mix 1.1 with water and get the 50 degrees heat.
    Is exact temperature is very important for mixing powder D76 in to it ?

Umut

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use hot tap water to mix my D-76, as hot as the tap will give me. The key is to stir enough and to have the water hot enough to dissolve all of the crystals/powder in the package. In theory, you could use 1 degree water but it would take months to properly dissolve. I recommend using tap water and making sure you stir it until all the crystals dissolve; if after 10 minutes there are still undissolved portions, put the container in the sink and start pouring hotter water around it to bring the temperature up hot enough to dissolve the remainder. On a side note, with the water in my city, I can never get ID-11 to fully dissolve, there is always some left on the bottom.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Kevin ,may be my city water have the same problem , I dont know. I wont risk it and use bottled water.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I heat a liter of water in a Pyrex measuring pitcher in a microwave oven for three minutes then gradually add tap water and powder for ID11 which should work the same for D76.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't say what the temperature of the non boiling water will be.

Mixing 1:1 probably won't give you 50C.
    Mixing liquids of 2 different temperatures is based on heat lost from the hot one and heat gained by the cold one.

Here is a link to a calculator that may help you find the correct ratio.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/mixing_water.htm

msa
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hot tap water works for me, too.

In the last 3 apartments I lived in, plus this house, all the water heaters were set either in the 50-55 CC range or so close to it that the D-76 dissolved just fine, and never came out of solution afterwards.

I can tell you that I've seen it work as low as about 46 C and above 55 C as well.

You don't have to boil the water, merely scalding hot is enough.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    1900 grams of 100 celcius degrees water plus 1900 grams of 15 celcius degrees water makes 57 celcius water. I think this is the best way.

Thank you all.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To mix D-76 I just use my hard acidic (Ph of 5) water at the temperature that comes out of the tap and it works fine for me. I just fill the jug about 3/4 of the way, add powder, then top off with water to one gallon [3.8 liters], shake for a few minuets, let stand overnight and if there is any powder left in the morning I shake it again. This has worked every time for every powered chemistry I have made.

I would avoid using boiling water because you could burn yourself, and really it isn't worth it just to make up some D-76, it isn't like the Kodak recommended mix temperature is a magic number that will change the way the D-76 works, it is just the warmest they want you hearing it to make it dissolve easily, exceed that temperature and you may find out that there is a magic temperature where D-67 can be destroyed.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I must have been distracted but, as the hot tap water wasn't warm enough (48 C) I put some water to boil... I waited a moment and poured some 800 cc of water in a container. The reading gave 56 C, so I poured the powder in. After mixing it all, I took another temp, check that out, and, to my surprise, the reading was around 60 C, maybe more !!! I thought "Holy s(...)!".
    Now I wonder whether I spoiled this batch or not...
    What could happened if the mixture was prepared with too hot water??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think 60 C should be a problem. My hot tap water in the darkroom is about 45 C and I find I have no problems, either. I can fully dissolve everything in my water.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin