Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,756   Online: 855

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Which colour/ bw film for large format?

Starting on large format, I've been astounded by the prices of sheet film in shops. As they only come in either 10 sheets or 20 sheets per box, it would probably work out cheaper to buy and split a bulk order between myself and others.

For colour I won't use anything other than Fujichrome (Velvia, Provia) - I assume these are stable in the 5x4 camp.

What about black and white? Reading the forum posts on Ilford, I wonder if it's a safe bet to try mastering 5x4s on a film brand which is a bit unsteady. What else do people use here? I'm curious about Agfa Scala in sheets (wow!!) and I also heard of some other brands - Marco film. Are these worth a run? I'll be developing in a 10x8 processor by hand and my regular chemicals are HC110 and rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you look at J and C their film is cheaper than all the huge brands (kodak, ilford, etc.) Efke is around $30 for 50 sheets. J and C Classic is really cheap, I think around $10 for a box of 25. Those 2 are what I usually use since it's hard for me to afford buying a lot of sheets of Kodak at a buck a sheet. I haven't tried Maco in sheet film yet, but their roll film is nice... I've never used color sheet film either, but considering the quality of Fuji's roll film I would also think that'd be nice -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom,
    Don't be afraid to try Ilford films. This is not a time that we analog photographers should panic - we can be concerned tho.
    I use Ilford FP4+ and HP5+ (developed in PMK Pyro) and plan to continue to do so.
    But I have been reading good things about the B&W films form J&C and will continue to monitor people's opinions in the case that my optimism dissipates.
    In the end it is your call and whatever you decide on using, you're gonna be addicted to LF!
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji Velvia and Provia are available in 4x5. I prefer Velvia 50 for the richer, warmer colors and especially the greens it produces. The low speed is a consideration however.

J&C has the improved Classic 400. At the low price it certainly is worth a try. Freestyle sells the EDU film line and their house brand at lower prices than the major name films.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Astia is also available in 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, I'm not sure about shipping and import duties from J&C to the U.K. which may increase prices at your end. There may be a less expensive supplier near you, but our friends across the pond would have more information. J&C is a good outfit to do business with here in the states, but I don't know of a similar business in the U.K. Perhaps one of our LF users from europe can help on this one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    Fuji Velvia and Provia are available in 4x5. I prefer Velvia 50 for the richer, warmer colors and especially the greens it produces. The low speed is a consideration however.
    I've been quite happy with the Velvia F100. There are times when I do shoot Kodak VS100 as well, but, nothing really beats the Velvia.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi there,

I agree - there isn't much to compare with Fuji colour emulsion.

About black and white - I've not heard of J&C - will try and find out if there is a UK supplier for it. Noseoil - you're right about the extra taxes. I'd prefer to find a UK supplier for it. I guess what I want is a film which I use like my bread and butter, and not be concerned if it's going to around in a year or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the colour saturation of Fuji Velvia as well, and I eagerly awaited the introduction of the med speed Velvia F100. However, it really seems a different film. The main difference seems to be in rendering the colour of clear blue sky and some greens. They seem to come out rather flat and greyish, as if the cyan is not being activated sufficiently, relative to the other layers.

RPV 50 - can't beat it for rich saturated colours. Kodak Ectachrome seems to come close, but much warmer colour rendering. Provia also good, more subtle.

As for B&W - Genes suggestion of Ilford films, I agree with. FP4+ (ISO125) or worth trying Kodak TRX, great for a faster film (320).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin