Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,450   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Multi Format

Folgernol/Caffenol?

I've been seeing the photos being posted using this developer (Folgernol/Caffenol), and they look very nice. My question is... is there any benefit to using this? Aside from the fact that you are creating printable negatives with coffee (!!), what are the benefits? I am very anxious to try this and wanted to know if anyone had some recommendations as to development times for APX 100 and Pan F+. I have several rolls of 120 to develop and figured this would be worth trying. Thanks for the help everyone. -Grant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've tried it, and in my experience, the main benefits are to learn something about developer chemistry and to experience the novelty of developing negatives with stuff from the grocery store that isn't terribly toxic. I'm not sure, really, whether coffee is actually cheaper than a more conventional developer. In my experience, it produces a very sharp, grainy neg, not unlike ABC pyro, but with a higher base fog and less contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone have any thoughts on how well these negatives will keep? I've seen coffee and tea used to tone prints, but it has been established that they have no archival benefit for paper, would guess that the same is true for film. Not really important, just wondering.
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Anyone have any thoughts on how well these negatives will keep? I've seen coffee and tea used to tone prints, but it has been established that they have no archival benefit for paper, would guess that the same is true for film. Not really important, just wondering.
    AFIK, the image is still silver reduced from the silver halides by caffeine and mayhap some other fortuitous ingredients in the coffee. If they are porperly fixed and washed, they should last longer than you do. This is not a toning process, in other words.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I've tried it, and in my experience, the main benefits are to learn something about developer chemistry and to experience the novelty of developing negatives with stuff from the grocery store that isn't terribly toxic. I'm not sure, really, whether coffee is actually cheaper than a more conventional developer. In my experience, it produces a very sharp, grainy neg, not unlike ABC pyro, but with a higher base fog and less contrast.
    This is one of those "I gotta try that...." deals that slipped by.

Any specific information... ratio of coffee to water ... times...???

Anything would be much appreciated.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check the new "Chemistry Recipes" section for formulas and info.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I posted the recipe in the Chemistry section and started a thread in the alternative section http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8491-alternative-developers-coffee-all.html
    Mama took my APX away.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin