Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,163   Online: 1248

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's a beautiful film. Souped in Xtol, you get the full ASA 400. Here's a sample on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/maineco...ac/5210587072/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man asks about 400 film, six of the 10 responses mention 200?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    It's because 200 was incredible.... 400 is okay I won't buy it again... I'd rather spend the extra buck for hp5 for better, more consistent results

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's a beautiful film. Souped in Xtol, you get the full ASA 400. Here's a sample on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/maineco...ac/5210587072/
    I guess it depends on how we meter the scene we want to capture but your example does not convince me that the Fomapan 400 is even close to an Iso 400 film. Looks much closer to an Iso 200
    There is no definition in all the blacks, could of course be intentional that you have printed the shades down to retain highlights.

There's still only one film that is remotely close to Iso400 and that is the TMY400, HP5+ is closer to 200 in real life.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So typical Mike, everybody is on a mission

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I used the sunny 16 rule

Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    I guess it depends on how we meter the scene we want to capture but your example does not convince me that the Fomapan 400 is even close to an Iso 400 film. Looks much closer to an Iso 200
    There is no definition in all the blacks, could of course be intentional that you have printed the shades down to retain highlights.

There's still only one film that is remotely close to Iso400 and that is the TMY400, HP5+ is closer to 200 in real life.
    I just used the sunny 16 formula in exposing the shot. I think the Arista film is ASA 400 because the deep shadow areas has detail. Is that how one rates film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I really like the look in 120. It was inexpensive and developed nicely.

Unfortunately, it had scratches in 3 different cameras I ran it through. The first and only film I've had scratch problems with. I won't be buying it again. If it weren't for that issue, it would probably have become my go-to 400 speed film.

I shot a few rolls of 35mm as well and didn't have any problems with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomapan 400 in 35mm is on Tri-Acetate, 120 roll film is on (Blue) Polyester. iso 400 you can only reach in Diafine which is in fact a push developer.

Fomapan T200 is about iso 125-160, same base but a mixture between Hexagonal and Cubical crystals which gives the film a very special look.

Fomapan 100 is a real iso 100 film, same base, nice film and it will fit with a lot of different developers. IMO together with the T200 their best film. For push development the T200 will do better.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You do not have the scratches in 135 because this problem is due to :
    - first : the finishing machine, bought after the forte closure. Bad machine.
    - second : the backing paper is crap.

I have warned the Foma team about that. Their films are wonderful, but they completely destroy them, because of their finishing !

But in 135 and 4*5 ... waow... Their new Foma 400 in 4*5 is my favorite film in this sensitivity.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the finishing machine, bought after the forte closure
    But this is their back up roll film assembly machine. They still have their own so why using this old fashioned type?

the backing paper is crap
    Crap is a big word. But I am not happy with this backing paper either. It will result on too much stress on the emulsion surface hence it can cause scratches depending how tight the loading system is on the camera.
    So it's a bad decision to continue using this "crappy" paper..........

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin