Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,493   Online: 884

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post
    So I bought a package of Fomapan 400 4x5, to try it out. I have HC-110 and Xtol available... which developer should I use, and what is the maximum ISO I can get?
    Have a look at the datasheet, and especially at page 2. There's a development time - gamma - ISO speed chart for the Fomapan400 - Xtol (stock) combination. So, 6' seems to be a reasonable development time (20°C) and the speed you'll get is a tad more than 200. Multiply this time by about 1,4 and you'll get ~8'30'', which should be close enough for Xtol diluted 1+1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, what's a good developer (apart from Microphen) for getting 320-400 speed?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say there no developers that will make Fomapan 400 a true 400ISO film. The ISO film speed is well defined and part of this definition is the contrast of the developed film. In a way the chart isn't accurate, as the "speed" might hit the 320 ISO mark, but with excessive contrast. So, if you want to keep contrast to reasonable levels, then EI200 should be about right. Of the developers you mentioned, Xtol would be my choice, as it gives the most film speed. HC110 on the other hand isn't that good in this. Besides, you'd need to find development times somewhere else, based on somebody else's tests. This might work, but it's not guaranteed.
    Last edited by Anon Ymous; 01-20-2011 at 03:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Addition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Diafine 3+3 minutes will give full iso 400 speed with the Fomapan 400 film. All other speed enhanced developers, Microphen, Acu-1, etc. will stop close to iso 320. But this you can read in the above mentioned data sheet too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    But this you can read in the above mentioned data sheet too!
    I read the data sheet, I was just wondering if there were any other insights about this film, derived from practical use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your collegue from Greece made a good summary how Fomapan 400 works. It's a pretty grainy film like the old type Tri-X. You can pronounce the grain (HC-110/Rodinal) or suppress a bit Xtol/Fomadon Excel W27 and all possibilities what is in between. In fact it's an iso 250 film.

Regards,

Robert

(Dutch Foma distributor)

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fomapan 400 35mm - Moersch Finol-times & observations

Good Morning

I would like to share my observations related to Fomapan 400/36 - 135.

Film
    Fomapan 400/36 - 135
    Batch 007815-5
    Exp. Date 2 2016

Exposure
    ISO 320, which results in 0.12...0.15 dlog above base & fog for z1

Developement
    Film spooled in to spiral in Paterson-tank
    Presoak tab water
    Moersch Finol 1+75, distilled water
    Agitation 60' - 2/30'
    Temperature 20°C
    Time, N, diffuse light source 21:00 (around 19:00 for condenser light source)
    Stop in presoak water 2:00 and washed in tab water 1:00
    Fix 1 2:00
    Fix 2 2:00
    Wash tab water 6:00
    Wetting agent 1:00...2:00
    Washing line, while washroom-shutdown

Observations
    I like the results in terms of tonality.
    I like the price.
    I do not like the problem with the micro-scratches allover the back-side of the film (not the emulsion-side); also not the weird sound while transporting or respooling the film. I suspected, that the problem with the scratches must be produced in the camera: To control that I cleared a piece of film out of the container in fixing bath; a pattern of microscratches on the base showed up, lenghtwise, 2mm long and allover...
    I am looking forward that Foma can fix this problem; I like their B&W-Papers a lot and the fact, that there is another company beside ilfujak.

Regards
    Andreas
    Last edited by achi; 10-05-2013 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Foma changed this year on their 120 roll films:
    From Blue to Clear Polyester layer.
    Another type, more smooth backing paper.
    The hardening process of their Fomapan Creative 200 film was changed. In fact the emulsion changed already last year due to the fact an ingrediënt of one of their suppliers was not available anymore.

So the new 120 roll films are better, no micro scratches anymore and a better roll film assy with self adhesive stickers too.

A very good value for money at the moment. No idea how long the old type films are around the miscellanous distributors worldwide after these changes.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used a few hundred 8x10 sheets of Fomapan 400 aka Arista Edu Ultra 400 at an exposure index of 200 developed in replenished Xtol. Results: completely predictable easy to work with negatives with no quirks or flaws. The price is excellent. My last batch cost $2.80 a sheet including all costs and charges into Australia.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Has anyone here used this stuff? Do you like it? What is the difference between it an HP-5+? Any reciprocity info?
    I don't use HP5 much. Arista EDU has an old fashioned look. The film has problems with reciprocity with long exposures. For long exposures over a few minutes, I use Fuji Acros. Here's a shot on Arista EDU 400 processed in HC-110.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=37430
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin