Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,040   Online: 1074

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i used to use a ton of 120 arista / foma film
    LOVED IT souped in ansco 130 and caffenol c
    they were meant for eachother..

YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When a first used it, I loved the film. I hated the green base and the curliness of the film. Foma fixed the curly base.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    When a first used it, I loved the film. I hated the green base and the curliness of the film. Foma fixed the curly base.
    Surely you mean the blue base, which is now also gone, Foma use a clear base since earlier this year, same emulsion just different base, I use a ton of the stuff, love it and rarely use anything else bot in 120 and 35mm, develop it in either Rodinal or D76
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been so long, I forgot. Maybe I got confused with that green dye in my used fix souping Arista EDU. I love the stuff too. Great for general use. Not very good for long night exposures though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Been so long, I forgot. Maybe I got confused with that green dye in my used fix souping Arista EDU. I love the stuff too. Great for general use. Not very good for long night exposures though.
    I actually used to use a lot of Fomapan 100 for really long night exposures---usually f/8 for about 15 minutes, give or take---souping in Diafine. I think I had some sort of vague hope that the bad reciprocity along with the compensation would help control the highlights, and while that may or may not actually make sense, it worked out pretty well in practice.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great! You've made it work for night shots. For me, it's taming contrast. Never used Diafine before. I think if you get the shadows exposed correctly, the trick is to tame the highlights. Arista EDU 100 and 400 does very well with stand development. Had great luck with HC-110 diluted 1:100 with Arista 400. I agitate for the first minute then let it stand for an hour and 15 minutes. The highlights exhaust the developer faster than the shadows. This allows the shadows to continue to develop after highlights have slowed or stop developing.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Shot a roll of 35 mm last week and developed it in D-23 replenished. It's not quite 400 speed, but the negs print fine. It seems to be very much like an early Tri-X - grainy, but with decent definition. It's not going to be my regular film, but I bought some in Prague and brought it home to try. The 200 is another thing entirely. A bit contrasty, great definition, and develops well with Beutler. That could well become my slower speed film of choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I actually used to use a lot of Fomapan 100 for really long night exposures---usually f/8 for about 15 minutes, give or take---souping in Diafine. I think I had some sort of vague hope that the bad reciprocity along with the compensation would help control the highlights, and while that may or may not actually make sense, it worked out pretty well in practice.

-NT
    Cool. Got any examples to show?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You might be right

Quote Originally Posted by presspass View Post
    It's not quite 400 speed, but the negs print fine.
    Arista 400 prints beautifully when it's processed correctly. But I find Arista EDU 400 processed in XTOL is very close if not at ASA 400. When I process it with HC-110, I shoot the film at ASA 320. It's a great film and a very affordable price. There's no reason not to try it.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (night, Fomapan 100, f/8, 15 minutes, Diafine)
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Cool. Got any examples to show?
    A few, but they're negative scans rather than prints, and I don't promise Great Art or anything.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...57627803293477
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...57627803293477
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...57614782638072
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...57614782638072

Some of them show pretty intense highlights without causing a meltdown of the surrounding image, which is what kept me coming back to this combination. (The house-party one has a lit window that did blow out completely, but I think it works in that image.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin