Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,588   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Fomapan 400/Arista.eduUltra 400 observations?

Has anyone here used this stuff? Do you like it? What is the difference between it an HP-5+? Any reciprocity info?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What film format are you looking to use it in? In smaller formats (35mm/120) you will notice the grain, which is a good or bad thing depending on your taste. I haven't shot the 400, but I adored the 200 when it was around. Reciprocity is generally worse than comparable Ilford films, but not radically worse at short times. Once you get into longer exposures, it racks up quickly though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really liked the 200T Creativ also

I've been getting to know the Fomapan 100 in 135 via some short date bulk rolls Freestyle was offering awhile back.

I tend to agree that the Foma 100 builds contrast fast and will blow highlights if you don't watch things closely but it's a unique looking film. I haven't had a chance to really get to know it yet intimately but so far I really dig the look.

Will probably try the 400 in 120 and hopefully the 200T will get reintroduced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomapan T200 (Creative 200) is already there.
    Fomapan 400 is also available in 4x5" now.

Pretty good quality - price films.

Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, the 200 in bigger sheets is gone. I used to buy it in 5x7 and 8x10, but they've not brought those sizes back yet.

Images
    I like Foma 400. It has beautiful grain.

I find it half the speed of HP5+; also, that it has less of a tolerance for underexposure. At 1/2 second you need to start adding exposure to account for reciprocity, and the amount of extra exposure you need increases much faster than for HP5+. Still, it is a pretty film, and I like it.

My favorite of all is HP5+, but I still like Foma 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5x7 and 8x10
    Which was always a special size on request.

35mm and 120 roll film format is standard at the Foma factory for T200.

I find it half the speed of HP5+; also, that it has less of a tolerance for underexposure. At 1/2 second you need to start adding exposure to account for reciprocity
    Correct, which you can find back in the Fomapan 400 data sheet:
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...pan_400_en.pdf

Even in Diafine, Microphen, Xtol/Fomadon Excel W27 you can get iso 400-320 only.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Robert-

I used to buy the Arista.EDU Ultra 200 (aka Fomapan 200) from Freestyle all the time in 5x7 and occasionally in 8x10 (I cut it down to whole plate size).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arista.EDU Ultra 200 (aka Fomapan 200)
    Arista is the exclusive USA brand for low cost Fomapan films in the USA only.

In Europe Foma is selling under their own brand for regular prices. For special formats there is of course a minimum quantity which is for us in the Netherlands whisteful thinking .........

best regards,

Robert

(Dutch Foma distributor)

Shooter
    35mm
    I shot a roll of Fomapan 400 more than a year ago in 35mm. Not bad, as others have noted it seems to be marginally 400 ISO and prefers a bit of overexposure, and won't really push. As I recall the base tended to be quite a bit curlier than Kodak or Ilford's films. I also noticed this with the Fomapan 100 in 120. Not a huge issue, but a slight pain when trying to load the reels Maybe they've changed the base since I used it last.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin