Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,649   Posts: 1,623,486   Online: 975

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The RC Myth.

NER

Images
    What a waste of time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    AHHHH CR@P!

Alright! Who told Kodak that I have settled on Polymax 8x10 FB SW as my absolute favorite printing medium and am using it exclusively?
    Over the years I have shot literally miles of Ektachrome a hundred feet at a time and used lakes of E-6 chemistry, not to mention the color neg, paper and B&W. And yet... they just never seem to miss a chance to sit on my face at every opportunity. It's gotta be personal.

Well, hopefully there will still be Polymax DW... at a dime a sheet more.
    The Great Yellow K must have read that thread I started a while back about re-discovering Polymax SW. Sorry Neal. I feel the same.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    count me in the list of people who can see the difference.

I was getting very frustrated with my prints, until I started printing on Fibre.. then the detail and feeling I was seeking came through.

Images
    Good Morning,

I wonder--What if RC had been invented first, followed many decades later by fiber-base? Would there be a plethora of comments on the "inferior" look of fiber-base?

(I hope that this is not a comment all of you have seen earlier. I posted this thought yesterday, thought it "took" and was in the thread, but I can't find it now. Has anyone else ever made what seemed to be a successful posting, only later to find that it had disappeared?)

Konical

Images
    Personally I would have loved the invention of fiber. There is a look to fiber that is not present in RC. Call it snobbery if you will but fiber looks, prints and feels better. I have worked extensivly with both. I would feel the same if RC were invented first.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Konical]I wonder--What if RC had been invented first, followed many decades later by fiber-base? Would there be a plethora of comments on the "inferior" look of fiber-base?[[QUOTE]

I think the superior (IMHO) archival and toning properties of fibre would have won the day.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning the stability of prints, a lot of what I have read indicates storage has as much or more to do with the longevity of photographic prints than the material on which it is printed. It makes sense to me, considering how well some 100+ year old photos look. You know the photofinishers of the time cared little for the archival properties of the photos (same as today). But well kept photos survived while poorly kept photos faded.

The RC paper I used back in the 1970's was wretched. The fiber paper was gorgeous. RC papers have improved significantly in 30 years. I don't know that I can say the same for fiber papers. At most, fiber papers have maintained at about the same level.

I use more RC paper than fiber but I do agree a well printed fiber-based photo, toned in selenium or Nelson's gold and displayed nicely has a sweeter, softer quality about it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OK, since I have some strong opinions about this, I'll put in my 2-cents.

I admit that the quality of RC papers has come a long way since I first started printing. RC prints were absolute crap when compared to FB paper then. If you couldn't tell the difference, you just didn't know quality. I have walked thru a lot of craft fairs and I can see that RC prints do look better now than before. I still have to get a little up close before the plasticky look of the paper becomes apparent.

Still, RC is not as good as FB, period. RC has it's place for sure, but not in my life. If ever the day comes where I can't tell the diffecence in a blind comparision, then I'll consider using it if archival considerations are covered, but I don't ever see that day coming. How can RC ever produce the blacks like FB if light has to pass thru the extra coating twice before it hits the eye?

-Mike

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    How can RC ever produce the blacks like FB if light has to pass thru the extra coating twice before it hits the eye?

-Mike
    what extra coating? the emulsion is coated on top of the plastic base.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    My 3 cents worth. I'm planning to use fiber, but in slight defense of RC.
    I had called Ilford about paper. They use the "same" emulsion on the fiber and RC paper. If you make a test print on RC, you will know what to expect on fiber. I think the perceived difference is the playing field is not level. You
    can not compare RC glossy to glossy fiber, or RC pearl to fiber because of the surface. NOW try this, Polymax RC "N" surface, and fiber "N" surface.
    Look hard, because it's sooo close it's not worth writing home about.
    RC has improved much. If RC were made more stable, non developer incorporated, and in a glossy surface that would compare to fiber glossy.
    You would have to be out of your mind to use fiber !.
    Remember...I'm going to use fiber, put the blow torch away.

Jennifer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin