Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 716

Thread: Kodak Products

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Kodak Products

Hi,
    I am almost ready to buy film and paper. I would be happy with Polymax fiber and Tri-X . The problem...I wonder how long it will be till they drop
    these products. What are your thoughts ?. I know there are other films and papers, but not all films are an option. It may surprise many that not all sheet films are on a polyester base. Acetate base has KNOWN long term problems. The print is very important, but I consider the negative even more.
    The negative is the beginning, and without it, there can be no end "print".

Jennifer

If someone asks what is the best digital camera to buy ?

How should I know, my camera is made out of wood.......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jennifer,
    I would recommend J&C 400 in place of Tri-X unless you have a lot of money to burn. I've shot a lot of Tri-X but its just too durned expensive in LF sizes. J&C is about 1/3 the price, seems to work great in just about any developer, including all the incarcerations of pyro. Lots of reputable (and some of us not so reputable) LF nogs are using it.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Hi,
    I am almost ready to buy film and paper. I would be happy with Polymax fiber and Tri-X . The problem...I wonder how long it will be till they drop
    these products. What are your thoughts ?
    What do you care how long they will have it? If they do drop it in the future then you buy a different film and do some testing. Worrying about the availability of film is not only futile, but it becomes a self fullfiling prophecy. If you decide to stop buying Kodak, then kodak will loose sales little by little and eventually they will decide to drop the products.

OTOH, the "safest" films would be the TMX films. Kodak seems to think they are the wonder films and I see them dropping these films last.

IMO, dont fret, buy what you like and enjoy them for as long as you can have them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    According to Kodak TMAX 100 replaces every discontinued film. Copyfilm, Verichrome, TechPan, and soon all the ortho, TriX, Tmax 400, Tmax 3200, and probably color films too.

G.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin