Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,439   Posts: 1,597,032   Online: 983

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Arista Premium Ultra Cold print developer??

Can someone share their experience with Arista Premium "Ultra cold" print developer?
    How many prints can you get from a tray?
    Shelf life of working solution?
    This is going to be my first time using this developer. I have used Dektol or LPD in the past.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Images
    I don't have much experience with this developer, but I had to mix it a good deal stronger than recommended, about double, to get it to develop a print. It could have just been my one bottle, I don't know. Mixed strong it worked fine.

I like cold tone, and get this using Slavich Paper, now mostly with Eco Pro, which I have been using for many months now as a replenishing developer for marvelous economy.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    stradibarrius, I haven't used Arista's cold tone developer but I believe I heard it was very similar to Clayton's cold tone developer which I did have fine results with, but not that I would necessarily say were "cold" tone. I recently purchased some Moersch Blue paper developer from Freestyle. This is the first developer that I have tried that actually delivers a distinctive blue black cold tone look, especially with Ilford MGWT. You have to developer for 3 minutes though (at the more economical 1:14 dilution), which to me is a disadvantage, but if that's what it takes to get that look then that's fine. I highly recommend Moersch Blue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Brian for that. I have a bottle of the Moersch Blue that I have not tried yet. I like the cold tone look. Currently I am using Oriental Seagull VC and I like it more than any other paper I have tried so far.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Images
    I tried the Arista Ultra Cold Tone developer with Oriental VC fiber. Mixed it 1:14 as the instructions said. Waited 2 minutes in the developer and did not get an image. Tried a couple of times more and same results. Called Freestyle and talked to a technical rep. She said she would look into it and get back to me shortly. 15 minutes later she called back, said the Ultra Cold Tone was indeed made by Clayton and recommended I mix it 1:7. Sent me free of charge a bottle of the regular Cold Tone developer, which I've used before, to make up for the hassle (have to love Freestyle customer service). Continued with the Ultra Cold Tone. Left the exposed paper in the developer for almost 2 1/2 minutes and the image all of a sudden pop right up. Obviously it needs 2 1/2 - 3 minutes soak time.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I remember reading Henry Gilpin's comments in the Freestyle catalog about this developer a number of years ago. He said that he was very impressed--apparently it took the old Agfa Classic and zapped it over to neutral tone pretty nicely.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Thanks Brian for that. I have a bottle of the Moersch Blue that I have not tried yet. I like the cold tone look. Currently I am using Oriental Seagull VC and I like it more than any other paper I have tried so far.
    I love Oriental VC FB. It is my main neutral tone paper. I develop it most of the time in 130 diluted 1:1. After toned for 3-4 minutes in Selenium 1:9 it's the most neutral tone with just a hint of cold tone look. Incredible! The Moersch Blue produces just a bit more blue tone to Oriental, but not much. I find the Blue to work better at cooling down warmtone papers such as Ilford MGWT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just tried the Ultra Cold Tone Developer - I couldn't get an image in 2 minutes. Messed with it and got a few images - none worth using. Dumped the tray out and went to Ilford Mulitgrade Developer and everything is printing perfectly. Called Freestyle, didn't get a clear answer or resolution - waiting on a call back.

Has anyone used this developed with any luck? I also ordered their WARM TONE developer and now I have doubts about that as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin