Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,085   Online: 896

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    yes, i do!
    Fog density would not be fog density if it also contained density from exposure to light, but why am I telling you that? Something is amiss.
    Last edited by CPorter; 12-29-2011 at 08:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Originally Posted by CPorter
    come on, why should it let neglible light through, sounds like you are agreeing that where I want to read just fog must also have density from light.

NO !!! The black tape used by CPorter as a mask should NOT let any light through. When I used the word negligible I intended it to mean "a sufficiently small amount (of light) that will not contribute to any measurable increase in density". Letting light through the tape that contributes to a density increase is contrary to the intention of using the black tape in the first place !!
    Ahh! That clears it up, forum communication can be tricky sometimes-----sorry for my contribution to that misunderstanding.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i prefer landscape photographing. for film testing as lambrecht descripes i need daylight or a daylight bulb.
    i want to use a daylight bulb because actually light conditions changes too fast.

can you also recommend a daylight bulb for fim testing in this situation?

whats with the setup?
    just photographing a white-sheet of paper in my room?

best michael

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Although any light source other than real sunlight is a compromise, the repeatability of artificial light sources makes them a good compromise, if your tests don't need to result in laboratory grade accuracy. For example, my purposes I would be happy to be within 1/3 stop accuracy, 2/3 stop is tolerable. Once I get into the field to take pictures, I can't get my light meter readings to within 1/3 stop accuracy/repeatability anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i work with a hasselblad 501cm.
    i put the stouffer 6x6 just into the film holder and make a contact print.
    it seams to work (did a test on one foto, the bars are fine)

shooting 5 films with one holder costs time so i'm afraid that light conditions are changing during the test.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hello,

after i did the first three tests with the stouffer 120 6x6 I got following results -> see pictures
    the steps 30/31 and 1/2 are missing because the stouffer wedge was displaced in the hasselblad filmholder :-(

- why I have this "jump" on step 16 to 16 (other side of the step-wedge).
    - what do you think about those results in general?
    - should I have to repeat the whole process or should i go on with minute 13,4 and 19,5 ?

best michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-03-29_16-25-33.jpg   2013-03-29_16-27-04.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hoth View Post
    hello,

after i did the first three tests with the stouffer 120 6x6 I got following results -> see pictures
    the steps 30/31 and 1/2 are missing because the stouffer wedge was displaced in the hasselblad filmholder :-(

- what do you think about those results in general?
    - should I have to repeat the whole process or should i go on with minute 13,4 and 19,5 ?

best michael
    Hi michael,

Double-check your actual step wedge "calibration" densities.

I don't think the jump is that dramatic, but it's interesting.

When I drew a smooth dotted line between points, the "outlier" on the 9,75 curve was the point for Step 17.

I see your calibrated value for Step 17 is 1.60. The "outlier" "fell into line" when I changed that value to 1.61. So double-check, maybe your calibrated wedge is 1.61

Regards,

Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Michael, the jump probably means illumination onto the Stouffer was uneven. I suspect the right half of the chart got more light than the left part. If you're using an enlarger as a light-source, this could mean the film-holder was not centred under the enlarger, so that the left half was farther away from the centre, experiencing fall-off from the enlarger's lens. Or the light-output of the enlarger might be uneven.

I suggest checking centring. You also might want to use an enlarger lens with a longer focal length and raise the head some. An easy way to test uniformity is to expose a piece of film in your film-holder, with *no* Stouffer present. Then measure density at various locations across the negative.

Best,

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thx,i used a step wedge-negative placing in the hasselblad filmholder, photographing a white card placing on zone X; did this with 5 films!

maybe the displacing of the negativ leads to an uneven illumination (i lost steps 30/31 and 1/2)

should i repeat shooting 5 films
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    thx,i used a step wedge-negative placing in the hasselblad filmholder, photographing a white card placing on zone X; did this with 5 films!

maybe the displacing of the negativ leads to an uneven illumination (i lost steps 30/31 and 1/2)

should i repeat shooting 5 films
    No, I think it's expected to have a jump at 15-16-17 because those steps are near the edge. My edge densities are often "higher" than the inner densities. Just look at the overall trend and ignore the anomaly in the middle - consider it an artifact of the layout of the step wedge.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin