Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,031   Online: 744

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I'm gonna give it crack on OO this evening and see what comes of it.
    I like to hear about your experience with it. I used it for 6 dev/film combos so far and it worked flawlessly! But the world is full of gremlins.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are 31 step wedges easy to find, sorry haven't looked at all yet.

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was able to open it in OOCalc successfully. I think the trick is to open Calc and from the software to open the spreadsheet into it, rather than to open the spreadsheet and choose OO. And I did download the .xls file. It might be a short while before I try this. I need a few things first and that comes in February.

Thanks again, Ralph. Talk about coming through. Woo Hoo!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Does your "Summary" page look like Ralph's image or mine? I tried it the way you describe and it looks wrong.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh. Um, kinda like yours. I'll have to look into this a bit. Gimme some time.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These look like they are 8 inches long, are you cutting them to use on 4x5 film?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First things first: Thanks for posting this Ralph. I'm sure a number of people will find it very useful, as will I after figuring out the syntax error.

As for the results opening an excel spreadsheet in openoffice, it's an equation syntax problem.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Error: 502
    Invalid argument
    Function argument is not valid, for example, a negative number for the root function.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It can be done in openoffice, just not with excel's exact syntax. I'm not a spreadsheet matrix wiz, but the attachment will show that just by right clicking on a data point in the graphs and choosing to insert either a log or exponential (appropriated to the case) trendline, openoffice will give the same curves as Ralph's sheet. I inserted curves for both the proposed and adjusted data, equations matching the line color.

I may have some time to explore the matrix math syntax, but I'll have to learn it for excel (which I haven't used for about 5 years) and then learn to make the necessary changes for correct openoffice syntax. One of the reasons I quit using excel is evident in Ralph's post including two versions of the spreadsheet for two versions of excel. If I get to this (I'm currently rather busy with a number of other projects), I'll report back to this thread. Just be assured that openoffice is capable of this with correct syntax, and that purchasing excel is optional, as is learning how to use either excel or openoffice to their full capacities.

Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot-3.png  
    Last edited by Lee L; 01-03-2011 at 11:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mikebarger,
    For 4x5 sheet film, Use TP4x5-31. It is 31 Step Projection Scale 4" x 5".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't implying there was competition Ralph, rather that the text of the article with the BTZS spreadsheet helped explain it's uses. So as you say some documentation will help.

It would be interesting to relate the techniques use to the more practical visual testing of the Zone system as many don't have access to a densitometer.

It's a few years since I was really adept at spreadsheets bur it would be useful if some one could make the WBM one fully functional in Open Office.

Lee highlights why many of us stopped using Microsoft Office, in my case it was complex Access databases used commercially rendered completely useless in new versions of Office with no backwards compatibility.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ian

There is no competition here. Use what you prefer, but the BTZS file does not do the same. It does not work with 31-step tablets and requires much more user interaction (more inputs), and I did not find it that easy to use.

With the WBM spreadsheet, you enter the data on the first page, enter the effective film speed on the last page, and you're done. You don't have to read anything off the graphs and enter it numerically (except for once). This relies on some matrix evaluation in Excel and is probably the reason that Open Office doesn't work with it, because it does support it. The final results are also not the same but very similar, except for film speed.

I was asked to do this, and I did. It is not a competition to BTZS. It's a different approach, but you are right, it needs more documentation.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin