Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,548   Online: 893

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very good and fast work, Lee. Looks good over here as well. Awesome.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    ... So I have a couple of questions for Ralph just to clarify my thinking.

First, I think the notation in cells T13 and T33 of the summary page threw me. Is there a typo in those cells with a minus sign instead of an intended equals sign, '-' rather than '='? That would make sense from the equations below, finding y as a function of x in column T and x as a function of y in column U. I was trying to make sense of subtracting f(x) from y. ...
    Correct, the cells should read 'y=f(x)'. Just a typo.
    While we're at it, cell T22 should read 'avgG' instead of 'N'. A copy/paste error.

... Second, taking the following second order polynomial notation:

f(x)= a + b*x + c*x^2

column S notation in the summary page is such that the following correspondences to the equation above are correct:

b = a
    c1 = b = coefficient of x)
    c2 = c = (coefficient of x^2) ...
    Correct again. I used 'y = c2*x^2 + c1*x + b.

Unfortunately, I cannot see what you did since I don't have the software, but many thanks for the effort!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In order:

Steven, the thousands of folks who have contributed to Star Office/openoffice/LibreOffice over many years are the ones who saved you $150. Thank them, or send them a percentage donation of your choosing at thedocumentfoundation.org.

Glad it's working for the others who have reported in. Had a great get together this afternoon with some very nice folks, and viewing of some very fine original mid-late 19th century photos that one of our members has collected.

Ralph, you can, if you choose, get the Mac port of openoffice at NeoOffice.org. Free, and always will be.
    Thanks for the additional info. I guess I could export the .ods version back to .xls, but I have no way to verify that the changes would carry over correctly, and I sort of have a personal policy of avoiding that sort of thing when openoffice is freely available to everyone under Mac, Windows, linux, et. al. From my perspective that's really about Microsoft trying to impose de facto standards that allow them to control the market rather than complying with fully public ISO standards that the open source office packages support.

Again the real thanks should go to Ralph for his work on this spreadsheet and for posting it for others to use freely.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee

Thank you again. Now, it's my turn to create proper instructions. I need about a week to do this. It will be posted as pdf.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    In order:

Steven, the thousands of folks who have contributed to Star Office/openoffice/LibreOffice over many years are the ones who saved you $150. Thank them, or send them a percentage donation of your choosing at thedocumentfoundation.org..

Lee
    Well said, and I will contribute.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is great information. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using Linux Ubuntu release 10.04 (lucid), Kernel-Linux 2.6.32-27-generic, GNOME 2.30.2 and Open Office 3.2 version. Excel file works just fine.

Regards
    Esko Hietaranta

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggen View Post
    I'm using Linux Ubuntu release 10.04 (lucid), Kernel-Linux 2.6.32-27-generic, GNOME 2.30.2 and Open Office 3.2 version. Excel file works just fine.

Regards
    Esko Hietaranta
    So am I. Try checking the Summary page of the spreadsheet and see if you don't get Err:502 in cells column U, and to the right of c2, c1, and b in column T, or missing/misplaced curves in the two graphs to the left on that page.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So am I. Try checking the Summary page of the spreadsheet and see if you don't get Err:502 in cells column U, and to the right of c2, c1, and b in column T, or missing/misplaced curves in the two graphs to the left on that page.

Lee
    Sorry, I was working on .ODS file not .xls file. My mistake. The .ODS works fine. I opened .xls file but it is read only mode even if I changed permissions. Strange! It looks same as .ODS file but I cannot input data. Any suggestions?

Regards
    Esko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggen View Post
    Sorry, I was working on .ODS file not .xls file. My mistake. The .ODS works fine. I opened .xls file but it is read only mode even if I changed permissions. Strange! It looks same as .ODS file but I cannot input data. Any suggestions?

Regards
    Esko
    Don't bother with the .xls file, it won't work on openoffice as posted because of differences in syntax. The .ods file only contains modifications to correct for the syntax differences between openoffice and excel. If you want to look at the .xls file contents, you could probably just re-save it under a new name and then load, look at, and modify it. If it's really an OS file permissions issue (not just openoffice preventing you from losing data by editing something in .xls that openoffice doesn't deal with correctly), then just right click on the file in the file browser (Nautilus by default) and then click on Properties, then the Permissions tab in the window that opens and give it the read/write/execute permissions you wish it to have. You may need to enter your root password to change permissions.

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin