Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,667   Online: 793

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. The open source spreadsheet gnumeric. http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/ Perhaps I mistakenly recalled that it was linux only. There is a Windows XP or later version, but not a Mac version.

Gnumeric loads and displays Ralph's posted .xls spreadsheet correctly, including the summary page and graphs. It's also not as poor as excel in areas like linear regression, random number generation, etc. Anyone who doubts the merits and responsiveness of volunteer developers of open source vs. big-money backed programs like excel and MS office should read this evaluation of excel vs. gnumeric:

http://www.csdassn.org/software_reports/gnumeric.pdf

The abstract for which is:
    Title: Fixing Statistical Errors in Spreadsheet Software: The Cases of Gnumeric and Excel
    Content: The open source spreadsheet package "Gnumeric" was such a good clone of Microsoft Excel that it even had errors in its statistical functions similar to those in Excel's statistical functions. When apprised of the errors in v1.0.4, the developers of Gnumeric indicated that they would try to fix the errors. Indeed, Gnumeric v1.1.2, has largely fixed its flaws, while Microsoft has not fixed its errors through many successive versions. Persons who desire to use a spreadsheet package to perform statistical analyses are advised to use Gnumeric rather than Excel.
    Contact Information: B. D. McCullough, Department of Decision Science, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest folks wait until Thursday when I will be posting a much improved version, dealing with 21 or 31-step tablets and no need for multiple linear regression either. And this time, it will have proper instructions.

Thanks to Lee, everyone outside of Excel will be able to use it too.

If the entire world would work like APUG, mankind would be a huge step ahead.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I use the Darkroom Automation Enlarging Meter for this purpose. It works very well as a baseboard densitometer, reading in stops with repeatability of about 0.02 stops in my experience. That's 0.006 optical density units. Overkill for a film curve, and less expensive than a decent used densitometer. I use a spreadsheet and type in the stops and let the spreadsheet convert to optical density (simply multiply by 0.3), calculate and subtract fb+f from a 'clear' area of the film, and draw the film curve.

Lee
    Curious about the set up to use the enlarging meter, would save me the purchase of a densitometer. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djhopscotch View Post
    Curious about the set up to use the enlarging meter, would save me the purchase of a densitometer. Thanks.
    Support files, specs, and instructions for the meter are at http://www.darkroomautomation.com/ Be sure to look at the support pages for lots of good information.

Don't want to hijack this thread, so look for a response in a thread that's more on topic:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/8...-exposure.html

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad to report that a much improved version of the spreadsheet is now available. It is flexible enough to deal with 21 and 31-step tablets and has an improved interface, allowing for some user intervention at every stage to provide more robust results. Detailed instructions are not quite done yet but should be available by Sunday.

You'll find it again at:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/WBM2/Library.html

and at:

http://www.darkroomagic.com/DarkroomMagic/Darkroom.html

As far as I can tell, it should be compatible with OpenOffice without recoding, but I have no way to check that. Therefore, I hope you will report back with any issues you may have.

PS: It would help me to improve this spreadsheet if people could supply 21 and 31-step sample data to info@darkroomagic.com.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems to be compatible with Libre/OpenOffice, can't see any issues. Will have a better look when you've posted the instructions.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought the book, Beyond Monochrome 2ed, and can certainly say that my photography has improved substantially in all phases.
    Now I'm ready for film testing. The one thing that I have not quite figured out is how to expose my film using the step wedge.
    It would seem that it would have to be back lit, and as the text points out the light source should be the same temp. as the light that I typically
    shoot in. No problem there. I shoot medium format, 6x7, so I'm thinking that a 4x5 size should be large enough, but perhaps an 8x10 would be better. So now the question. Is this as simple as taping the step wedge to a window, metering the middle steps for zone V and firing away ?
    Would a light table be better with the proper temperature light source ? Do I need to be concerned about light around the edges of the step tablet
    or do I need to mask out all light from around the edges of the step tablet ?

Any advice would be appreciated. The process is quite an investment in time. I'd hate to spend a day shooting and developing film and find out at the end that my technique in exposing the step tablet was flawed.

Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ralph for your generosity with your information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Thanks Ralph for your generosity with your information.
    You are welcome!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bascom49 View Post
    Is this as simple as taping the step wedge to a window, metering the middle steps for zone V and firing away ?
    yes, a north-pointing window and stable light conditions would be best

Would a light table be better with the proper temperature light source ?
    that's possible, so is an electronic flash and a neutral diffuser

Do I need to be concerned about light around the edges of the step tablet or do I need to mask out all light from around the edges of the step tablet ?
    yes, masking is a good idea, because it will cut down on flare
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin