Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,179   Online: 823

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is a quote from The darkroom cookbook
    By Stephen G. Anchell
    It is an excellent and modern book and I think everyone who does B&W work should read it.
    Not for safety reasons but so you can play better in the darkroom.
    It’s lots of fun to try out the formulas in this book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hg.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perfect! Now I really don't want to use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Safety advice is not what will cripple or kill someone, it is the lack
    I'm just trying to point out that everyone comes forth with their opinions and subjective advice, yet not much objective information. Chock it up to being an advocate for the devil I guess...
    Here is my objective information. You are young and most likely have not seen any of your friends DIE as a result of poor decisions. I have. I did a LOT of STUPID things in my youth. I hope my children, who I love very much, will not try any of the foolish things I did when I was younger.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Learning how to handle chemicals is probably something you really don't want to learn over the interweb. Years of college chemistry labs and workplace training are really the way to lean this stuff. And even then, there are some things where there is a general lack of real info, like the dimethylmercury example above.

I would not recommend using mercury compounds in the home or commercial photo lab these days. They are not what we consider "safe" for general use these days. There are safer ways to achieve similar results nowadays.

That said, I used mercury intensifiers my self as a teenager 30 years ago.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Here is my objective information. You are young and most likely have not seen any of your friends DIE as a result of poor decisions. I have. I did a LOT of STUPID things in my youth. I hope my children, who I love very much, will not try any of the foolish things I did when I was younger.
    Look, I don't even want to use mercuric chloride or any mercury compound for that matter, but if you look through the thread, very few actual FACTS were given. That's all I'm getting at!

Excuse me now, it's the time of day that I usually play with broken thermometers....
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ordinary precautions should keep you reasonably safe when handling small amount of mercury (II) chloride. Metallic mercury has a fairly high vapor pressure and is therefore much more dangerous. That does not mean it can be handled carelessly, spilled around the lab, or ignored as a poison. But most countries and localities have some very strict rules on the purchase, shipment, use, and disposal of mercury compounds that must be obeyed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    very few actual FACTS were given. That's all I'm getting at!
    There was one FACT presented OVER and OVER again. DO NOT USE MERCURY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers
    very few actual FACTS were given. That\'s all I\'m getting at!
    There was one FACT presented OVER and OVER again. DO NOT USE MERCURY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.
    I\'m with Chris here. You tell children no.

You tell adults it is a bad idea, but if they must then here are the rules. But it is still a bad idea.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 01-14-2011 at 10:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In sublethal doses mercury II attacks the central nervous system. It was used for a long tine in felt making hence the term "mad hatter".

Google "minamata disease" for nervous system effects. The famous photographer Eugene Smith did a series on the victims.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about! No facts, just "NO NO NO NO".

But oh well, I think my point has been made. Michaelbsc's got the idea...

And Gerald thank you for pointing out that disease; these are the kind of "facts" that I think will make people do the right thing by their own volition.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin