Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,692   Online: 745

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Some bottled water sold in supermarkets is almost pure water, according to the analysis printed on the bottle. In the UK it is much cheaper than distilled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use filtered water for mixing stock solution but use straight tap water for mixing working solutions and washing. There has been discussions concerning use of distilled water but I have not seen any A/B test using distilled and tap. If you are already happy with the result from your brother's processing and he uses tap, I see no reasons to be concerned.....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a really nice 4 meniscus filter setup and have used the water from it for many years, the pH is consistent. One day for fun, I measured the pH of straight tap water and it's the same pH..yippee, I don't have to wait for the trickle of filtered water. Using tap water, two of my developers clouded and in some other solutions, some gunk precipitated.. I went back to filtered instantly..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm just using same bottled water for cooking and for darkroom needs: mixing fixer, developer and final rinse

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Special developers like the ATP dev suffers from iron ions in the water. Mostly it gives dark spots on the negatives. Normals devs with conventional films does not need distilled water.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Take a trip to Halfords and get their distilled water, £3.79 for 5l.
    I use it for developer and final rinse in my b/w and c-41 just to be sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the answers, I'll probably try some distilled water, or at least bottled water from the supermarket.

Thanks

Garry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would stay away from bottled spring water as it may contain too many variables in terms of mineral content and PH. There have been long discussions on this and generally - or every darkroom worker I have met - do not use it. Stick with distilled/deionised for mixing stock and the final rinse.
    I have Pro-co water filter (similar to Amtak) off a hose on my tap , but it does not leave as clean negatives as a final rinse in the de-ionised I use.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    If you are concerned about your tap water, run it through a filter. Either a pitcher style, or a faucet mount, will help improve the quality of water you use. I use distilled only for mixing chems to stock strength, after that I use tap water. My final rinse is distilled water with LFN and isopropyl alcohol blend, never any streaks or spots, and rapid dry.
    Hello Rick,
    can you tell me what is it that you use for the final rinse?
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot to add that in the UK distilled water is quite hard to find and purchase in a reasonable quantity and is quite expensive. The best substitute is deionised water, which is what you get at Halfords, which is cheap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin