Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,029   Online: 984

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Really need distilled water?

Hi all,
    I bought one of these to try out:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...-devfix-iso-25

In the development instructions, it is very firm about using distilled water during development. I've always had my brother develop just using tap water and I'm happy with the results. Is this film special in some way, and really needs the distilled water?

Thanks

Garry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The qualities of tap water vary and can effect things.

Distilled water takes out those variables.

It's not expensive so for the first trial I'd suggest distilled.

Will it really matter? You'll never know unless you try it both ways.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to use distilled water for everything, mostly because I got it for free from work.

Now the only thing I used distilled for is mixing up Xtol and final rinse.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As mentioned above, depends greatly on your water source. I use tap where I am as it is generally of good quality and has not yet posed any problems for me.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are concerned about your tap water, run it through a filter. Either a pitcher style, or a faucet mount, will help improve the quality of water you use. I use distilled only for mixing chems to stock strength, after that I use tap water. My final rinse is distilled water with LFN and isopropyl alcohol blend, never any streaks or spots, and rapid dry.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello Rick:

What is "LFN"?

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would agree with Mark that using distilled water takes out any variables that may be in your tap water. I believe they are simply stating the optimal conditions for using their chemicals. I use filtered tap water and a distilled water rinse for spot free neg's. I believe filtered tap water is just fine, but that is just part of my methodology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flauvius View Post
    Hello Rick:

What is "LFN"?

Robert

Its a rinse aid made by Edwal, I like it better than photo-flo, personal preference. It calls for 1 drop per pint distilled water, or 2 drops tap water. It can also be added to developer to eliminate bubbles, cant do that with PF. Also, it doesn't gum up my reels like PF.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just use distilled water for the Ilfotol or Stabilizer step, the final one for better drying, less spotting hopefully. Once in a while when I have no aged room temperature water I'll use it for other wash/rinse steps too.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It depends....

Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Hi all,
    I bought one of these to try out:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...-devfix-iso-25

In the development instructions, it is very firm about using distilled water during development. I've always had my brother develop just using tap water and I'm happy with the results. Is this film special in some way, and really needs the distilled water?

Thanks

Garry
    It depends on where you live and what chemicals you're mixing up. Distilled water is more of a sure thing when mixing up chemicals. If you mix Photoflo with hard water, you may have spots. From my observations cities that draw water from rivers and lakes have better water for mixing photo chemicals than cities that use well water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin