Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,447   Online: 781

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Note From HARMAN technology Limited : Re Price Increases

Dear All,

ILFORD Photo prices will indeed rise ex.factory from 1st February 2011. Firstly, let me assure you prices will NOT be rising across the board by 30.00% on film and paper.

We are absolutely determined to keep our product costs as low as possible, we have not had a worldwide price increase since September 2009, although some markets have had prices altered ad interim.

The cause of this increase is not only silver, but it is by far the biggest element, we have had significant rises in base costs, fine chemicals, taxation, employment costs, transport and energies. We have worked incredibly hard to try and offset these increases by cost savings and efficiencies in the factory and by necessity reducing staff numbers in 2009. HARMAN technology Limited had not planned ANY increase in prices AT ALL during 2011.

We always monitor silver prices on a daily basis, the huge incremental rise in the last four months was not expected, we had envisaged a gradual rise, as people invested in silver and other commodities due to currency uncertainties backed by growing industrial ( not photo ) demand.

Many suppliers raised prices in 2010 ( and probably will again ) we did not, we wished to see if silver would stabilise, we also hold significant stocks of coated parent rolls and we have been using up that stock in the last 12 weeks. All product now being finished and shipped is product coated with silver at the current elevated prices and these additional costs just cannot be absorbed by HARMAN technology Limited.

Prices do vary from market to market, this is a very, very complex equation of currency, import duties, local taxes, shipping costs, local delivery costs and distributor and reseller margins, currency fluctuations are by far the biggest introducer of anomolies in pricing around the world not the prices charged ex.factory.

New prices have been notified to resellers by distributors around the world for products leaving distributors after February 1st 2011.

Price does affect the volume of goods sold, that is an absolute fact, so we have a total determination to keep ILFORD Photo products at a fair price.

Since HARMAN technology Limited was established six years ago we have
    always looked at different manufacturing options and technologies to grow our business, but fundamental to our business is the monochrome product range, the photo business will remain the largest part of our business for some appreciable time. In 2011 we have NO plans to delete ANY products whatsoever from our range and following excellent field trial feedback a brand new ILFORD Paper will be launched worldwide in Q2 2011.

We thank all our customers who buy and value our products.

Simon. ILFORD Photo, HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for update Simon, much appreciated.

I will continue to buy Ilford products - I use Delta 100 mostly and a little HP5, all reverse processed by dr5. These films reverse brilliantly in dr5.

I think it is important to support manufacturers with a clear commitment to film and analogue photography - well done to Ilford for continuing to deliver top class products in tricky times.

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Simon, I will continue to support your company, and purchase as much as I can afford.

cheers
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    That seems a frank, honest and open statement.

I see the present Ilford (Harman Technology) as a company which does its best to "work with" photographers and support products and business for the future, rather than just being out for the maximum short-term profits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the open letter Simon! Although modest, I will remain a 100% Ilford film and paper user.
    (And looking forward to the new paper too.)
    Last edited by Bateleur; 01-11-2011 at 06:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you, Simon. We now have a current response from both Ilford (Harman) and Kodak. And those responses are polar. Seeing as Kodak's analog outcome seems eventual, if not probable, I think it wise for those willing to make the change to begin to invest in the company that has 'at it's heart' our best interests. I will being to use nothing but Ilford products as I need to replenish consumables. I hope others will follow suit in supporting Harman Tech.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is good news, though I would rather pay a little more for film than for paper right now if the rises could be skewed that way. For me, it is the price of paper that, in part, determines how much I shoot -and not the price of film - as I tend to have more image backlog than I can afford to print. £50 to £100 for a box or two of paper requires more 'shopping around' than buying 10 rolls of FP4+.
    I am pleased to hear that traditional paper development is ongoing, with a new product in the offing. More busy posting around Q2 with undoubtedly questions like, "What's this new paper like ?" May I get in first and say, support a commited company and try it for youself ?
    Mark Walker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Simon.
    I have used Ilford since I learned on them a little more than 30 years ago, and have no plans to stop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I value good communication as much as a good product. Thank you for the information.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is what i would call "ethical business" very well done Mr. Galley. Honesty and opennes always pay. I will keep buying Ilford stuff.
    Never tried Galerie. I will in the next days.

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin