Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,821   Online: 841

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah I see. I was looking at this link: http://www.angelfire.com/wi/spqrspqr...wreversal.html and it mentions both bisulfate and metabisulfite.

So would using permanganate + sulfuric acid then using metabisulfite as a clearing bath work?
    Also, what final concentration of the sulfuric acid is best to use?
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mix 4g of permanganese in a litre of water and 35ml of sulphuric acid (34% solution) to a litre of water.
    Mix 1:1 just before use. Once mixed the solution does not last long but if you keep 2 solutions separately they last quite long time.
    For me, the hardest chemical to get in Aus was hypo (S thiosulphate).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, one more. Make sure you filter permanganese solution using coffee filter. Otherwise, it causes some blotches.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to use the "Speedibrews CELER REVERSER" kit about eight years ago. It was cheap (about £5 at the time?) and a quick search on Google suggests it is around £8 now if you can get hold of it?

It worked really well if you used one of the recommended films and you could process quite a few films with the kit before you needed a new one. Projected they really looked great, but I remember the slides were harder to scan than normal negatives after.

Ilford still publish a guide on how to reverse process their films too, though I never tried their method.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will add that I personally see potassium dichromate as the hassle free choice. A solution of potassium dichromate & sulfuric acid will last indefinitely, whereas the permanganate bleach won't (as mentioned). This means less chemicals ultimately going down the drain, as you can reuse it over and over, potentially for years.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting discussion. I've been wondering what to use the gallons of Kocak developing rack cleaner for, it's component bottles contain a 1-5% Pottasium Permagnate solution (part A), 5-<10% Sulphuric Acid (part B) and the neutralizer contains 15-20% sodium bisulphate, 5-10% sodium sulphite. (per the relevent MSDS sheets).

Assuming the balance is DI or distilled water, I should have the components for the permagnate bleach and neutralizer. (I do have some sodium sulfite here, nevertheless)

I also have Potassium Dichromate, as well as Ammonium Dichromate, so I suppose I could go either way with bleach formulations. Anybody care to help my rusty math skills to dilutions??? Or at least best guesses, if nothing else.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While most any BW film can be reversal processed the best results are with a film with a colorless film base. A colored base will lend a cast to the slides.

The reason for using sodium bisulfate instead of sulfuric acid is that it is safer to handle and easier to obtain.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-19-2011 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Second holmburgers. I just processed 100' of reversal 16mm this weekend (Kodak 7266) with sulfuric acid (35%, from the auto store) and potassium dichromate. PQ 1+5 with added hypo for the first developer, PQ 1+9 for the second. As my nephew might say, easy-peasey.

http://www.jorj.org/cgi-bin/potd-detail.cgi?EID=1091

Not nearly as fun as having run out of sodium sulfate and making it from the sulfuric acid and baking soda, though.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin