Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,190   Posts: 1,658,948   Online: 1037

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like ATP 1.1 will not be ideal for this, I can't imagine getting any mids with Dektol (I'll certainly experiment though). Is PanF a normal-developer emulsion? I've never tried it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Want high strength high contrast developer to build the d-max needed ...
    Maybe it's for the time requirement. Don't really know much about it, but I would expect this development step goes to completion, so that one could simply develop longer to get the dmax. Maybe not. I could easily misunderstand something here.

Of course, if regular old developer is going to take 30 minutes vs 3 minutes for Dektol, then I can see it.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've wondered the same thing. I believe that it is faster, but indeed, couldn't any developer work?

I read that the purpose of the first developer is to develop the negative image to "gamma infinity". What exactly does this mean? Doesn't one have to worry about fogging in the 1st dev?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dafy View Post
    Wow, thanks so much, very informative

>>13) Mount, project, and enjoy

I'm completely new at this (reversal processing), I don't plan on projecting, but scanning for print output. My experience with slides (minimal - some Velvia, Astia, Provia and that awesome and awesomely fragile stuff from Polaroid, the blue instant process at home stuff...neat stuff...and some Scala of course) has recently led me to see that they are quite often less grainy, have a better tonality, etc. than many of my negatives. Not always, but enough for me to want to try ATP 1.1 (which is a lot like TechPan) as a positive because of it's grain-free (sic) nature.

Do you think it's worth the effort/learning curve here? Or is this normally only done for projecting?

Shawn

I don't think there is any real advantage to going through the whole reversal processing routine if your objective is to scan the negatives.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I passionately adore Fomapan R100 -- the contrast curve, the sharpness., the grain, the atmosphere it creates.
    Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=dafy;1120630]I can't imagine getting any mids with Dektol/QUOTE]

The first developer sets the tone and shape of the curve. The second developer as I understand it develops everything that is left to develop against what the first developer left as it's silver profile.

Pan F as I know it is a low speed conventional grain film.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the first developer sets the tone and curve, why does Dektol work?? *CONFUSED*

I've never developed film in paper dev, but I would imagine it would not come out very pleasant. Or am I wrong.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Fred-can you please share your experience with R100 as a positive?

It might be worth trying to substitute Dektol in the first stage with whatever the PF equivalent of Technidol is for ATP 1.1. But as PanF is conventional that may be the way to go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Frank - why not? I appreciate the grain or lack thereof with all the positive films I've tried and if I'm reading all of this correctly a combination of slow film plus reversal processing will allow me to get nicer prints from my scans...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dafy, I've always processed my R100 as a positive. If you want me to post some scans, I don't think it's worth it because they talk more about the properties of the scanner I have at hand than the film itself. My scans together with my image manipulation abilities simply don't do justice to the slides. Here's one nonetheless (model release not signed):

I use the film primarily for candids that surprise rather than deliberately composed images, but I also like to shoot scenes from the same spot with two bodies (one loaded with Fujichrome, and one with Fomapan R100). This creates lovely transitions when I project slides with a dissolve projector.
    Fred

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin