Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,602   Online: 661

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ethol Blue Formula?

Just saw some old negatives, Tri-X I ran in Ethol Blue many years ago- and am wondering about mixing some of this up. Grit and grain has some appeal of late.

I did some searching for the recipe, but no luck. Anybody??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Found this, a start anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This anything like it?

http://www.jackspcs.com/fdnb.htm

I don't know a thing about it, but your question got me Googling.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looked for years and could never find a formula or something similar. It was popular for a time but was withdrawn by the manufacturer. Since it used sodium hydroxide as the activator and not sodium carbonate and contained hydroqinone it was not the same as the Beutler formula. The only thing even close and still made would be Ethol TEC.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Looked for years and could never find a formula or something similar.
    Grrrr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got this email in response to my query about availability of Ethol Blue or the recipe from Omega/Brandess:

No longer available. I would suggest the “Darkroom Cookbook” written by my friend Mr.Stephen Anchell. It should have similar formula if not the exact Ethol Blue recipe. Rodinal type developers at less dilute concentrations will give you the result desired, or any developers with higher borax or sodium carbonate components.

Best Regards.

Gregory Blank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    This anything like it?

http://www.jackspcs.com/fdnb.htm

I don't know a thing about it, but your question got me Googling.
    Doesn't appear to be. Neofin Blue was reported to be a commercial version of the Beutler formula. Ethol Blue seems to be different. According to the MSDS, it appears to be an MQ developer with sodium hydroxide as the accelerator. Most developers using this combination are designed for high contrast, rapid processing, or both. X-ray developers commonly use these ingredients. But with sufficient dilution things can be calmed down. I notice there are several catechol based compensating developers that use sodium hydroxide at concentrations of 150 - 500 mg/l of working solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've consulted my Photo Lab Index, and no recipe. There is plenty of info on use and time and temp charts for it though.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin