Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,598   Online: 730

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    What does the backing on the new rolls look like—green and gray-white with a slightly rough texture?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The problem with the Arista brand is that they sometimes switch to a different manufacturer.
    Can I ask how you know this and who Arista have used to make their films in the past and currently. Not a challenge - just curious about it.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Can I ask how you know this and who Arista have used to make their films in the past and currently. Not a challenge - just curious about it.

pentaxuser
    IIRC, there was some criticism of the brand just before they added to their line with the Edu label. There were comments on APUG similar to those of this thread, film seemed different...

I am suspicious of any rebranded film whether it be Arista or another brand. When the backing paper, edge marks, development times, etc change one can only be suspicious that the film is different. I personally recommend sticking with well known brands such as Kodak, Ilford, Fuji

I picked up several bulk rolls a few years ago when it was obvious that the film was Ilford Pan F. Before that I think they were selling Agfa film. Don't know whose film they are selling now as I don't usually buy this brand.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-16-2011 at 09:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry,

The film they use now for the Arista.EDU Ultra is Foma film. To be fair to their customers they state on their web site what country the film is made in; in this case the Czech Republic - there is only one manufacturer there - Foma.
    To evidence this, they use a blue film base for 120 film, and me knowingly Foma are the only ones using it.

It's actually very beautiful looking film. But my experience has shown just what you point out, that it's probably better to buy film from Kodak, Ilford, or Fuji, mainly for quality and consistency reasons.
    I was forced to use the Arista.EDU Ultra a while back due to financial constraints, and while the prints were beautiful when it worked, there were times it didn't work, and that was aggravating as hell and frankly not worth it. I ended up shooting two frames of everything just to make sure I got what I wanted, so the film ended up costing more than TMax400 or Plus-X, and then what's the point?

I'm not knocking Foma, but truth be told - they are not at the same level quality wise as Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji. They just are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    IIRC, there was some criticism of the brand just before they added to their line with the Edu label. There were comments on APUG similar to those of this thread, film seemed different...

I am suspicious of any rebranded film whether it be Arista or another brand. When the backing paper, edge marks, development times, etc change one can only be suspicious that the film is different. I personally recommend sticking with well known brands such as Kodak, Ilford, Fuji

I picked up several bulk rolls a few years ago when it was obvious that the film was Ilford Pan F. Before that I think they were selling Agfa film. Don't know whose film they are selling now as I don't usually buy this brand.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

pentaxuser
    Here is what I have heard since I have been back in photography over the past ten years or so:

The original Arista film (I think that it was the original) 125 and 400 was Ilford FP4+ and HP5+. This was well established and I think Simon Galley from Ilford confirmed it. Ilford no longer rebrands their products and these films went away a few years back, around the time Ilford was reorganized.

Arista EDU was Forte, I think it went away with Forte, but Forte might have stopped selling it to Freestyle before they went under. This one was pretty clear since they marked the packages Made in Hungary and there weren't any other factories there. Also, it had the characteristics of Forte.

Arista EDU Ultra was introduced to replace the original EDU. It is Foma. This is also very well established, they advertise it was made in the Czech Republic, and I think that there are not other suppliers there.

Arista Premium is Kodak. The 100 speed is Plus-X and the 400 speed is Tri-X. This appears to have been discontinued and they are selling the remaining stock. (I am not totally sure it is discontinued, I think that this is a rumor at this time.) Again, it is made in USA and what other possibilities are there? Also, many have used it and reported it as Plus-X and Tri-X.

There was a Japanese made Freestyle or Arista product, not sure what exact film it was, but again, made in Japan can only really mean it was Fuji.

Also, Freestyle got a mess of 35mm Agfa APX toward the end of Agfa Photo and sold it as Freestyle Private Reserve.

In response to Jerry, one thing that Freestyle has not done since I have been buying from them is change a product or supplier without changing the name to make it clear it was a different product. I think it is an unfair criticism of Freestyle to imply that they will change the manufacturer of a film and not let folks know. When Forte ceased production and they started with Foma, they changed the name from EDU to EDU Ultra. It was very clear that this had happened. They did have both products available at the same time and made it very clear which was which.

As for quality, yes, I find that the quality of Kodak, Ilford and Fuji (and Agfa back in the day) is much better than other brands and I tend to stick to them as well. I am currently using Arista EDU Ultra 4X5 film, as I have just gotten back into it and want to get all of the wrinkles worked out with a cheaper film, but I have a feeling I will be back with Ilford or Kodak soon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks both for that explanation of Arista's sources

pentaxuser

Shooter
    127 Format
    I like to buy Foma film and its Arista EDU sister.

With traditional manufacturers winding down their film offerings, providing Foma with cash flow is a good way to keep film around.

Hopefully, when Kodak and Fuji abandon film completely, Foma and Ilford will be strong and healthy enough to thrive for decades to come.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    There was a Japanese made Freestyle or Arista product, not sure what exact film it was, but again, made in Japan can only really mean it was Fuji.

Also, Freestyle got a mess of 35mm Agfa APX toward the end of Agfa Photo and sold it as Freestyle Private Reserve.
    Almost as I recall Paul.

The Japan made film was sold on the Legacy Pro Name.

And the AgfaPhoto made film was sold as "Arista II the next generation"

The previosu stock which I enjoyed for years was originaly sold as "English Professional Film" and then Later "Arista" - it disappeared when Ilford decided to make it a policy to stop selling any private label products. Hence the Arista II Unfortunatly they just got it going and Agfa Photo decided that they were a real estate company rather than a photo manufacturer.

"Private reserve" is a photo paper which is advertised as "made in The E.U." although the customs declaration on my last order lists "BE" as the country of origin. I have just made a bunch of proof sheets using it and the EDU Ultra paper and the Private reserve did not have the "picture on the surface" appearance that the Ultra paper did.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin