Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,689   Online: 724

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Latest batch of Arista Edu Ultra 400 doesn't curl

On impulse, I bought ten roles of Arista Edu Ultra 400 (120 size) after not using it for over a year. I developed the first roll last night in Diafine and was quite surprised to see that it had no appreciable .

The only downside is that they are making the film a bit shorter. I was shooting it in my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515 (6x4.5) and there was less than 1/8" of blank film after the last 16th frame. I usually have enough of a margin to clip a couple of clothes pins to put some tension on the film while it dries.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    any pinholes evident?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoo hoo! Glad to hear that. I have some on order from Freestyle. I'll have to see how the shorter roll will translate using 6x6 and 6x7 cameras. It's beautiful stuff souped on HC-110 or Xtol. Stuffing the negs into sleeves won't be so much a chore now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pschauss View Post
    The only downside is that they are making the film a bit shorter. I was shooting it in my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515 (6x4.5) and there was less than 1/8" of blank film after the last 16th frame. I usually have enough of a margin to clip a couple of clothes pins to put some tension on the film while it dries.
    Please do let us know if this is an anomaly on that roll, or consistent with the new process.

So far as I know there is a standard length, so simply saving a few mm's per roll is dicey unless you're going to wind up out of spec.

Of course, if we buy it, and continue to buy it a few mm's short, then they'll keep making it that way.

OTOH it may be attached at the wrong place on the backing paper at the lead, making the leader longer and the tail shorter.

I would be concerned that the start line for mechanically indexed cameras might be wrong.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used quite a bit of this film and I find that the percent humidity in the room it is dried in and or how fast it is dried have a major effect of the curl. Perhaps you just dried it in a different way in the past. Relatively high humidity and slow drying with the film hanging with a weight on the end work best for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a basement darkroom. In the winter it is cold, about 60 F and low humidity about 40% so the film dries slow at this temp. In the Summer it is much warmer, about 75F but the humidity can also be 75% so it also dries slow. If I dry it on the rare day it is warm and low humidity I am not so happy.

Images
    I dried it by hanging it in the shower stall the way I have always done. The last roll of Arista EDU Ultra/Foma that I shot was an old roll of 200 which I shot and developed last August. Humidity was much higher in my house then that it is in January with the heat on. Normally Foma in 120 format curls up like a spring when it is wet. This roll hung quite straight even before weighted the bottom end.

With regard total length of the film, I did not notice significantly more than usual at the start of the roll. I did notice that my first half frame coincided with the number "2" on the margin however.
    Peter Schauss

Images
    Apparently the flat drying was not a fluke. I just processed a second roll and it also dried flat. As with the previous roll there was virtually no extra film after the last frame, so I was unable to put a weight on it while it dried. Without the weight on the end of the roll, the film had a slight curl on the last frame, but nothing like the way the old stuff curled. After being in the sleeve overnight it had no more curl than the Tri-X that I have been using.
    Peter Schauss

Images
    I made a small cabinet to dry Foma 120 rolls. It is a high humidity cabinet, with water still clinging to the film, and a dish of water at the bottom of the closed cabinet. The film dries flat along the length, and unlike many other films, across the width.

Now if they only perfected the self-adhesive strips so that they did not get stuck in my Rolleiflex. I actually unroll the film and take off the self adhesive strip, then roll it back before shooting it in the Rollei. Worth it? That depends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with the Arista brand is that they sometimes switch to a different manufacturer. Same brand name but it suddenly the film behaves differently. That the film no longer curls and is somewhat shorter leads me to believe that this is what has happened. You are essentially buying a pig in a poke.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin