Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,481   Online: 997

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 127
    This is something I just don't understand.

If you were to tell me that APS sales had crashed, I'd say of course they have.

The "mass market" of consumers, who are the target are the digital push haven't been Ilford customers since the 1960's.

Ilford's customer base is "us". Anyone shooting bw and printing it themselves is doing it because that's something they WANT to do. Those who just wanted to take photo's have been using colour for 30 years.

Maybe I'm underestimating the influence of the "camera nerd" - the guy who has to have every gadget. He's in the "early adopter" catagory, and has been financing the development of all sorts of bad technology for as long as anyone can remember...

Ian
    The black and white market is much more than artistic photographers. We are the minority. Government purchases of traffic surveillance films, aerial films, microfilms etc is a much larger market that has been eroded by digital.

Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    The black and white market is much more than artistic photographers. We are the minority. Government purchases of traffic surveillance films, aerial films, microfilms etc is a much larger market that has been eroded by digital.

Also I forgot to mention X-Ray films both medical and industrial

As for the prospects of a sale, apparently there are some interested parties (don't know who), and they would get quite a good deal - especially with only half the amount of salaries to pay!
    Fingers crossed.......

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Chilean Red - after the sour Sauvignon from the French Ilford Marketing Dept, you're so sweet to pass on such good news. I'll keep my legs crossed too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    this is a quote from Wendy Erickson from Ilord; or rather was with Ilford. this can be found of the Ilord site, under the cafe pro section.

Hey not so fast! Even with the job cuts, ILFORD is alive and well. ILFORD factories are busy making film and inkjet paper- Production is in full swing as usual.
    Um, what about B&W paper...?

A lot of the discussions on this site and other has centered around the film side of Ilford's business. Any thoughts as to their MGIV and MGWT ranges, both on RC and FB ('cos I'd *really* miss them!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sales decrease does not necessarily come from selling less film material alone?
    What about the people who shoot analog, but then scan their neg's and process everything digital. This means selling less photographic paper and the like.

Jeroen

[size=1][color=blue]Um, what about B&W paper...?

A lot of the discussions on this site and other has centered around the film side of Ilford's business. Any thoughts as to their MGIV and MGWT ranges, both on RC and FB ('cos I'd *really* miss them![/color][/size]

[color=black]From what I can gather, these products are still being manufactured - although I'm not 100% sure. - I suggest you contact ILFORD sales dept to find out for definite.[/color]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilean Red
    As for the prospects of a sale, apparently there are some interested parties (don't know who), and they would get quite a good deal - especially with only half the amount of salaries to pay!
    Fingers crossed.......
    Fingers crossed indeed. I've emailed Hasselblad suggesting they buy Ilford to ensure their cameras never go hungry. Not as funny as it sounds IMHO it would make sense if a camera manufacturer bought a film / paper /chemical company especially one as great as Ilford.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilean Red
    Fingers crossed.......
    I would suspect that if a buyer is found they will end up paying even less in salaries than suggested above. New management will cut all expenses to the bone, which means more layoffs, in order to try and keep the company solvent and recoup their investment. They will immediately look at ways of downsizing the operation to fit the market they pervicve themselves to be in. The other thing they will do is look at each product and determine if it's going to make money. If not, it will not matter how wonderful a product it is, it will be gone.

The one thing guaranteed not to happen is that someone will shell out a lot of money to buy Ilford and keep everything as it was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin