Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,378   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Another Ilford post...

I wasn't sure if anyone has already posted this same info, so I thought I might as well...

-3.) News From Ilford

Ilford Imaging, weighed down by more than £40 million of debt, asked
    accountancy firm Grant Thornton to oversee its sale. The group will likely
    separate its two businesses: the UK black-and-white films and photographic
    paper division, and the Swiss inkjet printing business.

Ilford Imaging USA Inc. is continuing business as usual, President Ward
    Phillips said. "We are taking every action and precaution to maintain
    ongoing operations with our customers. At the same time, behind the
    scenes, we will be working with our related companies in the Ilford group
    to improve its performance," he said.

Communications Manager Wendy Erickson said the U.S. firm is solvent, and
    plans to go forward with its Photokina exhibit, and booth in PMA 2005.
    Ilford USA feels confident of its Swiss supply, and markets some things
    from outside sources. Photo paper and related supplies are probably
    dependent on the UK parent company finding a buyer, Erickson said.-

this is from the latest Maine Photographic newsletter.

-Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup...it's already been posted. If you listen very carefully, you can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm

The layoff

According to a post else where, Ilford layed off all R&D and sales and marketing in the B&W company. David Caper, the good tech advisor at Ilford, is also axed. See Ilford forum.

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...asp?FORUM_ID=6

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Can I clear this up:

Ilford UK = manufacture films and chemicals

Ilford Switzerland = digital stuff I don't really care about

Ilford USA = also make film and chemicals licenced from Ilford UK?

If the last bit is correct, it won't be so bad. But if Ilford USA are only importers.....where are they going to get their film from if it stops being made in the UK?

Sorry if this is really simplistic - I don't understand the politics.

Also - Fuji chromogenic 400 film is made by Ilford for Fuji - is this correct? Does this mean this film is also affected?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Read between the lines, what Ilford USA is saying is that they plan to continue selling supplies for the digital crowd. Well....whopty doo.....

I would think if Ilford UK stops making film that Ilford USA is going to have a hard time supplying it...no?

Those of you who like Ilford, better pull a Michael A Smith. Me, I used PW's ultrafine film, but will not take chances and will start testing J&C's film.

With regard to the post by Tom Smith ....
    UK also manufacture Paper (for both B&W and digital), and pigment ink.
    USA do not manufacture - they import from the UK.

With regard to the post from Jade....
    UK Sales are still employed (although most of the rep's have gone) and there are still some marketing bods around. R&D...not sure, but probably 99% have gone.

UK production of film and paper is still underway. We are hopeful that someone will come along and buy us (we are officially "for sale" in the financial times!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilean Red

UK production of film and paper is still underway. We are hopeful that someone will come along and buy us (we are officially "for sale" in the financial times!)
    For how much? you know? or find out?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this is a quote from Wendy Erickson from Ilord; or rather was with Ilford. this can be found of the Ilord site, under the cafe pro section.

Hey not so fast! Even with the job cuts, ILFORD is alive and well. ILFORD factories are busy making film and inkjet paper- Production is in full swing as usual. Please don't give up on a great 125 year old company- It's the next 125 years that will be most interesting!

Doughty Hanson tried to sell Ilford UK quite recently but failed to find a buyer... with a further 30% decline in sales of B&W products in the first 7 months of this year alone, the prospects of a purchaser stepping forward are diminishing daily.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    ... with a further 30% decline in sales of B&W products in the first 7 months of this year alone,...
    This is something I just don't understand.

If you were to tell me that APS sales had crashed, I'd say of course they have.

Kodak/Fuji 35mm 200asa colour - I'd expect that to be a serious casualty, as people start taking their family snaps on cheap digitals.

But "Auntie Doris" doesn't shoot black and white. If she did it would be C41. She certainly doesn't dev and print it herself. To her film comes in yellow boxes, and there's only one sort. She's never heard of (never mind bought) HP5 or Delta.

The "mass market" of consumers, who are the target are the digital push haven't been Ilford customers since the 1960's.

Ilford's customer base is "us". Anyone shooting bw and printing it themselves is doing it because that's something they WANT to do. Those who just wanted to take photo's have been using colour for 30 years.

Maybe I'm underestimating the influence of the "camera nerd" - the guy who has to have every gadget. He's in the "early adopter" catagory, and has been financing the development of all sorts of bad technology for as long as anyone can remember...

I'd have though Ilford's core market was safe - shows what I know!

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin