Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,117   Online: 950

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Fomapan film impressions - Your thoughts

I've seen several image posts on other forums where the film used was Fomapan, usually ISO 100. I've begun to realize that in most cases, the range of tones is quite pleasing. I'm considering trying Fomapan in both 35mm and 4x5.

I'd like to get some feedback from those that have used this film, i.e., issues, problems, preferred ISO, preferred developer, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I quite like it in 4x5 and rodinal. I rate it around ISO80

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use asa 100 and 400 Arista EDU Ultra and it's a great film. The older film 35mm and 120 bases were curly and the newer batches are less so. The 120 paper backing is a little to thick for my taste. I souped it in HC-110 and now Xtol. Both developer looks good with the films. It's a good film value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fomapan 100 is a good and cheap all round film. The 35mm versions are on Tri-Acetate base while the 120 roll film is on Blue Polyester. Foma improved the non-curling layer a bit.

With most developers you will find an E.I. between 80 and 100. Fomapan is (also) sold in the USA under Arista (EDU) brand.

The film has classical cubical Silver halide crystals. Compared to the T200 (Creative 200) which has been recently made again which has a mix of Hexagonal and Cubical crystals.

Xtol/Fomadon Excel W27, D76/ID11/Fomadon P W37, HC-110, AM74/RHS (all E.I. 100) Rodinal (E.I. 80) etc. are all good combinations. Going to speed enhanced developers E.I. 160-200 in Diafine.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I ordered a brick of Foma 200 Creative only yesterday, very curious to try it out. I've heard good things about Foma (apart from the curling issue), and it's very cheap film too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love Foma 100 in 4x5 (Arista EDU) at 100 and developed in HC-110.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i've been using the fomapan/arista edu ultra 100 in 120 and 4x5 for years. works great in rodinal or the fomadon R09, but have recently settled on pyrocat HD 1:1:100 at 50 iso and developed 13 minutes with 10sec agitation every minute.

reciprocity failure with the 100 speed film is steep, but i've had good luck using the numbers Murray@uptowngallery extrapolated from the limited reciprocity failure chart provided by foma:

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=616301

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have and have used fomapan both creativ200 ( 35mm ) and
    120 format asa 100+400 ..
    it is great stuff, and loves to be processed in coffee if you are into that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    it is great stuff, and loves to be processed in coffee if you are into that
    I second that. Fomapan 100+Caffenol C is one of my favourite combinations for tonality.

I've also had interestingly good luck using Fomapan 100 developed in Diafine for really long (5-15 minutes at f/8) nighttime exposures. My tentative theory is that the awful reciprocity actually helps to keep the highlights from blowing.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin