Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,232   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

source for inline water heater

This time of year, my darkroom water is 50F. I have seen a heater that is about 5 inches in diameter, about 2 feet long, that a guy in the mountains in NC used for his darkroom.
    As I no longer have any contact information for him, I thought I could find it by googling. No luck. Any help here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a small, tankless hot water heater?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do the tank less run on natural gas, my darkroom does not have any gas lines near by to tapp. Electric would be the only option .

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a small five gallon water heater that I bought at the home improvement store. It's electric, about 2 feet by 2 feet by 8 inches thick. It sits on
    the back of the shelf under my sink. super easy to install.

Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,
    I am a journeyman plumber and I do commercial construction work. The brand that we try to specify if we can is Eemax. You should be able to find them on the web. The model that we most commonly recommend requires 240 volts and a 40 amp circuit. You will need space in your electrical panel for a double pole breaker and you will need to be able wire the circuit from the panel to the point where your sink is located in your darkroom. Alternately, you could use a 6 or 12 gallon water heater.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Herb,

The one you describe looks like these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#immersion-heaters/=aqb5c0

Personally, I would suggest a small electric tank heater. The flow needed for a print washer is much less than the minimum required for a tankless heater (at least for my washer). and simple 120V plug in models can be had at the local home center. You could even put it on a switch and turn it off when you have a few days between darkroom sessions.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Dave, I think the Eemax will work. It is small, not grossly expensive, and puts out water at 105 to 110, which I can mix for desired processing temp.

I have 220 available, so I will probably use that, as my amperage is a concern.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not knowledgeable about this, (and my memory is vague) but I seem to remember advice being given to someone who was asking a similar question regarding a new darkroom, and was told in the thread that a tankless water heater is not good for maintaining a consistent incoming temperature. Something about not drawing enough to keep the temp constant in the heater?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, I've heard the same concerns about tankless water heaters that George Collier just mentioned...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Could have been me. I worked in a lab that had one. We hated it for BXW. Could not matain a constant 68 degrees. 55 or 85 degrees only. I put in a regular eletric water heater in my darkroom.
    Michael

"I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin